• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What adapter (1 Viewer)

Currently I have the Swarovski AT 80 HD, 990,LE adapter by lens plus....my problem is the LE adapter. It takes forever to attach to my scope even though I leave the threaded step down ring attached to my camera and the other that has three adjustment screws attached to my eye piece...I have read that there are adapters that are easily attached without having to spin the camera around to thread it on...I don't digiscope much cause I find it terrible frustrating trying to thread it on and at the same time worrying if the bird is going to fly before I'm finished setting up. Can someone please suggest where to buy the new kind of adapter that will make digiscoping simpler also any adjustment rings I might need to attach my 990....and is it true that since I have the older angled scope I can't get an adapter that will swing away when I'm not digiscoping? Thanks in advance for your time.

Hi okiebirdnerd,

On behalf of Admin and the Moderators, welcome to Bird Forum:t:

I dabble in digiscoping too. I'm not familiar with that particular adapter but by the sounds of it, it's not that much different from the ones I use. I'd be inclined to leave the whole adapter screwed together and left fitted to the camera. That way once you have a the scope lined up you can slip the tube part over the eyepiece and tighten the thumbscrews. I have an all in one piece adapter that works that way anyway. It only takes a couple of seconds to fit that way.

This is the Swaro adaptor, but essentially is used in the same way. I leave everything ready assembled with shutter release attached. My LCE adapter has the 3 grub screws, but I prefer the Swaro one at the moment.

Attachments

• Picture 146o.jpg
    Picture 146o.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 229
Hi,okiebirdnerd,I have been using the LCE adaptor for the last 5mths and it is great.If you leave the adaptor attached to the camera,and say just leave 1 screw attached it is easy to slide onto your scope once you have the bird in focus.I have tried both the Swar adaptor and the Eagle Optic adaptor,and have found the lCE much easier.There is no vignetting and it gives a very clear image.But having said that ,there are lots of different opinions on these issues.

Hi Terri, hope you're well, nice to hear from you.

Ooops, I helped design the LE2 plus for Bill Benz. As usual, I tend to recommend the small L.C.E. adaptor from the London Camera Exchange over here in the U.K. It's made specifically for the eyepiece so there's no need to tighten the adaper onto the eyepiece, the small locking screws just lock the adapter into place... only one needs to be used anyway.
This adapter is smaller and more lightweight than the LE adapter, and can be simply left on the camera all the time... it's made with a 28mm thread so screws directly on to the camera.
Ian's Swarovski adapter only fits newer Swarovski eyepieces, i think you have the older scope/eyepieces.
Regards,
Andy

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome and all the wonderful suggestions..gosh Andy I hope I didn't hurt your feelings for bashing the LE adapter:( I guess I should try using the LE the way y'all suggested and only tighten and loosen one set screw..(that means I'll have to take the eye relief rubber off the eye piece, right?)I didn't know it came off until I read it at this forum....I did read about an adapter made by spider or some such name that sounded kinda interesting...So I assume the L.C.E is made by the same company that made the L.E. adapter? I was thinking I ordered the L.E. from lens plus.Well Andy, since I take everything you say as gospel ;) , and if you say the L.C.E. is the one to have than I'll go with that..I just want to shorten my set up time and was hoping there would be a swing away so I wouldn't have to worry about sitting my camera down if I take it off the scope..I sure wish they'd come out with a new camera to digiscope with..I'd really like to have at least 5-mp so my images would be larger after cropping.

So now I have another question and you might have answered it already and it went right over my head:). :h?: .I use the 20x60 eye piece and at present if I want to zoom closer after I have the camera attached to the scope, I have to take the camera back off. Will the LCE or other adapter allow me to make adjustments with the eyepiece zoom without having to remove my camera? My whole problem is when I have the camera attached, not being able to zoom closer or further without removing the camera.I'm sorry If I'm repeating myself...it just gets a bit overwhelming thinking of spending more money on a hobby that has done nothing but frustrate me from the beginning.Thanks again for your time!

O.K. Terri, things are getting a little confused over the manufacturers of the adapters....the LE is made by Bill Benz of http://www.lensadapter.com/ in sunny California the L.C.E. is made by the London Camera Exchange which is a chain of camera stores in the less than sunny U.K.

You can see a selection of the 'tube type' adapters here http://www.digiscoped.com/Adapters.html including the Spidertech adapter http://www.spidertech.fi/ as well a Mr Cheang's which is probably the rolls-royce of tube adapters (but ordering, delivery and payment is a slight problem).
With all of these it is necessary to remove the rubber eye-cup of your Swarovski scope to get best results (least vignetting).

When using a zoom eyepiece, you usually have to loosen of the adapter from the eyepiece to adjust it...but you can turn the camera around to a vertical position still locked to the eyepiece and this will give you about 30-35x and a portrait view of the subject, which is a view ideal for close-up bird shots.
The Spidertech and Mr Cheang's adapter have a zoom cut-out in the adapter tube to allow rotation of the zoom with camera attached. With swing-away brackets, it's not relevant as the camera isn't attached to the eyepiece.

If you have your heart set on the fixed 'swing-away' brackets ...A cheap U.S. version can be found at http://www.simplicitytool.com/digiscoping_adapter.htm
Hope that helps a bit (and 5mp cameras don't make much difference, a bit more scope for cropping but if you can't get a good shot with a Nikon 990/995/4500 when digiscoping, you probably won't with a 5mp camera).

Regards,
Andy

With the LCE you just slacken the locking screw(s) and raise the camera assembly sufficiently to turn the zom control on the eyepiece and then tighten up the adapter again.

The Swaro adapter lets you adjust the zoom with the adapter in place by just loosening one screw.

Hello again and thank you for your patience:) I guess I will try changing my technique before buying a new adapter.I'm sure just taking the rubber off the eye piece will simplify things a lot.......and it really isn't that I'm getting bad pix when I use the 990..it's because by the time I crop I don't have much size left if I'm not real close to the bird..and I'm enjoying printing my better pix on Epson 13x19 photo paper.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back