• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rüppell's Vulture (Gyps rueppellii) at Tanger Med Port, Morocco (1 Viewer)

Piqa

Mohamed ( Acrocephalus) just sent me an sms indicating that he saw 1 Rüppell's Vulture , taday at 16:20 near Tanger Med Port, north Morocco.

Hi,

Thanks Abdo for posting this, I hopped that someone will see the bird later in Spain. The bird I saw was a huge vulture, with the following characteristics:

- Broad-winged bird
- Most of the back is grey (nearly 1/2 of wing’s surface: in the front, the other half is black), with outermost primaries also black.
- Small tail

To me these features will exclude Griffon Vulture, Egyptian Vulture and large Eagles like Golden Eagle. I saw all these species in numerous occasions.

But what it puzzled me is that the bird seen alone. Whereas I read that Rüppell’s Vultures seen in Spain and Ceuta are almost seen in the company of Griffon Vultures as they travelled with them from the Sahel region in Africa. Also, the bird flapped its wings.

I would appreciate any comments on this.
Best

Hi,

I don't think the fact that the bird was alone is unduely significant. Whilst vultures tend to be pretty social, they often forage individually. If this bird was out and about looking for food, rather than making a serious attempt to cross the straits, then I see no reason why it shouldn't be alone.

Howver, I fear that you will need more detail on this bird to convince any rarities committee. Ruppell's averages smaller than Griffon (although there is overlap) so the description of it as 'huge' (if you mean by that that it was larger than Griffons) is not helpful. It's proportions are also similar to Griffon's so the 'broad wings' and 'small tail' only suggest it was a vulture nothing more. The ID seems to hinge on the 'grey' wings which suggests that if it was a Ruppell's it was an adult (which have pale buffy 'scalloping' on the forewing which, I assume, could be taken as grey). However, in bright light and at difficult angles, particularly when the light is reflected, Griffons can seem to have greyish backs. Hence I don't think this feature is definitive either. Getting a good look at the underwing (Ruppell's have an obvious pale bar) and noting how they hold their wings are important features. I do sympathise as it took me a long time to get the species, but when I saw one there was something very distinctive about it and all those previous 'possibles' became the Griffons that they truly were!

Thanks John for your comments. By “huge, broad-winged bird and small tail” combined, I only excluded Eagles and Egyptian Vultures. I was only asking if I saw the “true bird” for my self, as I do not send any doubtful records to the Moroccan committee (MRBC). Unfortunately I didn’t see the underwing, as I was in a small hill and the bird was in the valley. Probably I have to wait to another time, maybe the end of May or next autumn.

Good luck! It took me a few years to get one myself, but when I finally saw one there was no doubt,

You should not discard the posibility of a Black Vulture. There are several observation every autumn and spring of Black vulture crossing the Starit towards and back from Africa.
Regards,

Javi Elorriaga

You should not discard the posibility of a Black Vulture. There are several observation every autumn and spring of Black vulture crossing the Starit towards and back from Africa.
Regards,

Javi Elorriaga

I hesitate to disagree with an expert on the subject, but, in the case of this particular individual, doesn't the description of the bird being "grey" and black above suggest a degree of contrast in the plumage which a Black Vulture would not normally exhibit? On the more general point, that is whether Black Vulture can be entirely excluded as a possiblity when encountering a "Gyps-like" in Morocco, I'm sure Javi is correct,

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back