• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What would you buy? (1 Viewer)

clive ward

OK I'm going to treat myself to a new scope. What is the best at the moment any make or model and are there any new ones that are in the pipe line, that I should wait to see before I buy.

OK I'm going to treat myself to a new scope. What is the best at the moment any make or model and are there any new ones that are in the pipe line, that I should wait to see before I buy.

I am in the same position and give my view until now:
- The new zooms of swarovski and leica: leica win here because in many reports swarovski's zoom has blackouts and difficult eye placement !!!

What is the best at the moment

Best resolution is still Kowa 883/884 AFAIK. Best image quality is Leica with new wide angle zoom. Best ergonomics and very close to other two in image quality and resolution is new Swaro with wide angle zoom. At least that is what this informal roundup found: http://www.birdwatching.com/optics/2009scopes_high/ And it's findings are consistent with everything else I've read. Think Zeiss has a new scope on the way but don't know much about it. Also think that all differences are pretty minor (except that Kowa has nice zoom up to 60x, and others have wide angle zoom but it's only to 50x), so I'd pretty much go by price unless you feel strongly about the specs I just mentioned. (Though Leica and Swaro still have 60x zooms also if you want to use them I believe).

Best,
Jim

Last edited:
I was in the same situation last year - to mark a significant birthday my wife gave me a new scope to replace my aging Nikon EDII.

So I looked at another Nikon, but the new EDG's are VERY heavy. Looked through some Zeiss scopes (I have Zeiss FL bins) but wasn't impressed. Ditto Leica and they've also had lens coating issues.

So in the end I went for a Swaro 65 HD STM with 25x50 and have been very happy. It's true that you need to be careful with eye placement but, once you get used to that (and it doesn't take long), the blackouts that people whinge about are not a problem. The field of view at 25 seems only slightly narrower than the 24x lens on my EDII, the clarity & sharpness are much better, it's a light combination, and it's great to be able to zoom up to 50x (the Nikon zooms were unusable).

However, scopes and bins can be very personal and you're the best judge of what you'll like. I went to a Kays field day at Sevenoaks Wildlife Centre to be able to check the book specs in practice, and would recommend that you do something similar wherever you are.

Good luck! Roger

I was in the same situation last year - to mark a significant birthday my wife gave me a new scope to replace my aging Nikon EDII.

So I looked at another Nikon, but the new EDG's are VERY heavy. Looked through some Zeiss scopes (I have Zeiss FL bins) but wasn't impressed. Ditto Leica and they've also had lens coating issues.

So in the end I went for a Swaro 65 HD STM with 25x50 and have been very happy. It's true that you need to be careful with eye placement but, once you get used to that (and it doesn't take long), the blackouts that people whinge about are not a problem. The field of view at 25 seems only slightly narrower than the 24x lens on my EDII, the clarity & sharpness are much better, it's a light combination, and it's great to be able to zoom up to 50x (the Nikon zooms were unusable).

However, scopes and bins can be very personal and you're the best judge of what you'll like. I went to a Kays field day at Sevenoaks Wildlife Centre to be able to check the book specs in practice, and would recommend that you do something similar wherever you are.

Good luck! Roger

i think that the leica apo 65 is the better deal, i have looked trough a leica 65 from a friend and the zoom eyepiece is mutch better than the one from swaro in terms of eyeplacement and black outs and that is a great point !!!!

As I've said - in the end it's a matter of personal preference (backout has been no problem for me but evidently is difficult for pimpelmees). The best thing is to try the scopes for yourself in the field. Good luck...! Roger

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back