• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Evesham Computers (1 Viewer)

jelly1960

I was thinking of buying an Evesham Axis 64 computer, but saw various corres. last year complaining about Evesham. Does anyone have any up to date views?
Jelly

There are some mixed feelings about Evesham: have a look at http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/computers/misc_systems/evesham_1/

You will often get better customer service from a local company as they tend to have a smaller customer base and therefore it is in their best intrests to look after their customers better. There is also the fact that you will be able to go and talk to them face to face should anything go wrong, rather than arguing with someone in a call centre which is at the other end of the country (even abroad in some cases!)

Hi,

I've got an Evesham Axis 64 Fx which I bought about 6 weeks ago. No problems at all, I've tried others (wont mention names) but out of them all Evesham are in my opinion the best. I've had so called engineers pitch up from some of the 'others' and I've known more about PCs than them! All of the PCs I've had from the other main competitors have been returned and my money refunded, often with quite a fight.
Sure people will have problems with Evesham, it's luck of the draw when you phone who you get and what sort of a mood their in but by enlarge my dealings with Evesham have been VG.
I got all the toys with my PC and I'm very happy with it. It deals with graphics quickly and efficiently and no hiccups so far (touch wood).
I hope this has been a help, but top tip, steer clear of the 'others'!!!!
Regards
Chris

jelly1960 said:
I was thinking of buying an Evesham Axis 64 computer, but saw various corres. last year complaining about Evesham. Does anyone have any up to date views?
Jelly

I have a Dell and in general it lives up to their reputation. But the screen arrived damaged, and getting through to the help desk meant waiting on a phone in a queue for hours, and then it took a week to get the replacement as it was shipped from Ireland via Liverpool. That was an awful experience and I will not buy the replacement from Dell. Also my Dell cannot go beyond 512Mb RAM which is not enough, so its worth checking expandibility.

I suspect a local shop will cost more. There's also the issue that a large outfit like Dell will take a lot of trouble to find components that work together well.

Many colleagues build their own systems so they can choose the best components. It's not the cheapest approach but it's easy enough to do if you have a little knowledge.

I'm still using the Evesham that I bought last century! P3 -600. RAM, Graphics card, CD writer, HD and Monitor have been upgraded but it's fine dealing with 36mb images in photoshop
.....actually re-reading this, it reminds me of only fools and horses when Trigger is explaining how long he's had his broom...four new handles, 6 new brush heads but it's still going strong ;)

I have a six year old computer built by the local shop and for general word processing and nothing too complex it has been no problem whatsoever. The computer I am sending this message on is three years old and has had one or two upgrades, mainly more memory, bigger hard drive, and Windows XP installed. This was also built by the local shop. Very few problems with it (usually of my own making), the main moan being that the "2000 Works Suite" software included is far too complicated and not at all neccessary as far as I'm concerned. However this newer computer is great for editing digital photos.
So my advice is if you have a local computer shop and they know what they are doing go to them even if it may cost a little more as any niggly problems are usually quickly rectified. Also you get a custom built job as well. :t:

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back