• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Torquay holiday (1 Viewer)

zaphod

greetings devon birders

I am having a weeks holiday in Torquay at the end of May, and would like any reccomenations as to birding sites near by ( i will have a car) i would like to see dippers and cirl buntings if possible any suggestions gratefully received

Many Thanks

Berry Head nature reserve is good for Cirl Buntings - we saw 3 yesterday in the scrub near the car park. Alternatively the new(ish) RSPB Labrador bay is supposed to be good too although I've not yet been. Both are 20 minutes drive from Torquay. Dippers I'll leave to someone else, Happy birding!

Hi
I visited last year. If you head off towards Dartmoor Prison you'll see plenty of places on the way across the moors, to stop.
I saw lots from Deer to Little Egret during my journey. Sorry I cant be more specific but when you get there, you, as I was, will be delighted with the range of habitats along the way.
Enjoy
Ian

Thanks for the info, will try the sites suggested, any one know if Broadsands car park is any good for cirls at this tme of year ?

I've just come back from that area - check out my blog for what I saw locally and a bit further afield in Somerset.

Cheers - you should find cirl buntings at Berry Head - I've usually seen then in the bushes near the lighthouse (though usually on the other side of the path, towards the main seabird colony), or in the bushes around the new hide.

Dippers - I've seen some at the National Trust centre (Parke Estate) which is on the same road as Yarner, albeit closer to Bovey Tracey. I actually had the better views on the stretch of the stream towards the edge of the park, by a bridge by the road. Course that was a couple of years ago now.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Lovely place for dipper is the Devon Wildlife Trust reserve of Dunsford, on Dartmoor. Lovely woodland walk with a few pied flies (although not as many as yarner) Cirl buntings are worth checking any coastal hedgerow from Torbay round to Plymouth, but the nearer to the most southerly point you can get, the better.
James

Just got back from Devon, good weather, got to see Cirl buntings at Broadsands beach on the road that leads to the farm, also tried Labrador bay after a tip from a rep working on an RSPB stand at a local supermarket, but with no luck
No luck this time with Dippers, could not spend all week birding !

Many thanks to the BF members for all their help

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back