• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Remembird (1 Viewer)

pstraughan

I'm probably missing something obvious. What extra, apart from memory size, am I getting if I buy Remembird II at £145 rather than the European version at £45 or the British version at £29? Do they all fulfill the functions of being able to record bird song, human voice and play back via computer or in the field?

Advice appreciated.

Thanks

Pat

The remembird II "device", the actual recorder is £145 and that includes a field guide with sounds on the memory card. You can also buy just the field guide on a memory card for £29, IE no remembird II.

Waiting eagerly for mine...

//Björn

Did you buy it ?

The remembird II "device", the actual recorder is £145 and that includes a field guide with sounds on the memory card. You can also buy just the field guide on a memory card for £29, IE no remembird II.

Waiting eagerly for mine...

//Björn

Hi

Did you buy Remembird ?

Are you using it and can you recommend it or comment on its use ?

I would be very grateful for any information. I'm very close to buying it from the specification alone but to hear what you think of it would be very helpful

Regards
Colin

Hi,

yep, got it since Monday. I like it, it does take a little getting used to not having a screen to look at though. If you don't have too high expectations on excellent recordings, it's really nice. It has no "super-sennheiser-directional-microphone" on it but it works good if the subject is reasonably close. Great for those birds you don't recognise, the built in "always listening" mode that always remember up to 8 seconds BEFORE you pressed "record" is cool. Nice when you just heard a strange call and wasn't recording, just press record and you will get the last 8 seconds.

I have put some recordings from my first night out on the Remembird forum (go to remembird.com and select support and the link to the forum) The thrush nightingale was about 40 meters away and the marsh warbler at about 15 meters. Note that I had turned down the gain so the levels were a bit low, on the other hand you get more noise if you turn up the gain.

I have an adapter for external microphone on the way so I hope to be trying my dads parabola mike with the RBII some day soon.

The built in audio guide is easy to use one you get used to it (remember, no screen to look at ;) ) I haven't used it so much since it's in English but I have been helping out with translating it into Swedish and the implementation is really logical and easy to understand. The announcer reads "A to F, E to H" for instance and you press the joystick when you hear what you need. Ex. "A to E" press "A, B, C" press "Corncrike, Coromant" etc. Easy to drill down to what you need to hear.

Haven't used the notes feature so much yet but should probably do it more as I tend to forget some sightings when I summarize my day out.. :h?:

Fit to the binocular is something I haven't used so much yet, it fits on my smallish Nikon Monarch 10x36, even if it feels a little bulky with it. The velcro doesn't stay on too good though on the Nikon rubber.

The PC application is quite well developed, major version 4 currently. You have the ability to find your recordings by date, species or location, add annotations, species and rating to recordings. Create your own audioguide, listen to the built in audioguide, export recordings to wav or mp3 etc..

Support from Chris (the inventor) has been great.

So, to put it short, I like it |:D|

//Björn

Hi,
Support from Chris (the inventor) has been great.

So, to put it short, I like it |:D|

//Björn

Hi Björn,

Since I posted my question I have spent some time reading the manual (downloaded from the Remembird site) and your comments closely match my initial impression. I'm not going to be concerned about fitting it to my binoculars and guessed that some work may be necessary to 'clean-up' the recorded sound. I'm impressed with your samples and yes, they have sold another one - perhaps you should ask for some commission.

Thank you
Regards
Colin

There are several older threads with discussion of remembird in this forum, even if most of them are for the now older v1.

Niels

Forgot to mention that my main reason for getting it was to be able to record "unknown" birds (to me). Since I'm a beginner it's really frustrating being out and hearing stuff without knowing what it is and hopefully this will help with IDing stuff back at the computer.

I use Cool edit pro to edit the recordings, it's supposed to cost to buy it but I don't think you can buy it anymore. The company making it was purchased and is developing something else now. So.. I kinda "fixed" it so it's registered.

I reallly like the spectral view it can give which shows the sound in frequency as well as strength, aka sonogram. Really good to see how the sound actually look. This way you can cut out frequencys below and above that which you want for example which cleans up the sound alot.

//Björn

Hi Björn

My reason for wanting to buy it is the same, that is, to try to improve my ability to recognise birds by their call. Of course I do know many calls but when summer migrants arrive I do find it very difficult at times and even when I think I know a new call I'm not sure the next time.

I would describe myself as an improving birder - its just I'm not improving fast enough :))

I'll see how I manage with the recordings and look for software solutions - I use a Macbook but do have access to a Windows system elsewhere so I'm sure I'll find some helpful software.

On your 2nd sample it is possible to sense that the sample has been modified but the call is clear and that is what is required so cutting out unwanted frequencies obviously helps.

I do a lot of my birdwatching walking rather than sitting watching so I will also be trying recording my notes as I walk and see how useful that is.

Regards
Colin

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back