• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

8 0r 10 (1 Viewer)

First time buyer. Can't decide between 8x42 or 10x42.
Leaning towards LGR HD as I believe best for buck especially buying on ebay. Leopold as far as I know has the only warranty to cover buying second hand bins.(?)

Uses:
I have no full time passion as of now.
Hunting (mostly at 100-200 yds S Texas)
Family vacations (camping and hiking)
Sports.. son is only 6 so awhile before I will be far enough away to need bins
but do attend 5-10 footall/baseball gms per year
Fishing never used for this before, but with new boat, may come in handy for navigating

My hunting friends recommend 10's

From what I have read 8's may be better.. when it comes to stabilizing (?)

What are some of the deciding factors?

Thanks in adv.

10x works you harder. It's harder to locate the target with because of the narrower field of view, more finnicky to focus because of its shallow depth of focus, and gives a more jiggly image, which quickly becomes tiring to the eyes. The bigger picture of 10x is really fun, and can be very tempting under calm, in the store conditions. The difficulties only become plain after some usage in the field.

10x also places higher demands on construction, in terms of optical and mechanical precision, and on the alignment of the two barrels. A moderate priced 8x might be just fine, but 10x, less so.

For a first or only binocular, I'd say 7x or 8x.
Ron

I agree with Ron--an 8x42 is hard to beat for all around observing. 10x or 12x brings in distant targets better, but that magnification comes with a few issues, which Ron very well explained.

I hope this helps.

After reading a lot, this is the conclusion I came up with. Just needed to hear it from more experienced uses with a direct question.

Thanks

Leaning towards LGR HD as I believe best for buck especially buying on ebay. Leopold as far as I know has the only warranty to cover buying second hand bins.(?)

Any other brands with good warranties if bought used?

Minox 8.5x43 HG BR Aspherical vs Leupold GR HD vs Pentax 8x43 DCF ED Binocular?

Last edited:
Now here is another thought from an experienced user. Think 8.5 power also in the mix.
I use all of these sizes and for all around, including hunting, longer distance, etc. there
are some out there. The 8.5x does offer a little extra over the 8, and I do find that it may
be a very good alternative. I am not recommending a make here, just don't overlook them.

Jerry.

Hello Landsnpop,

Zeiss has a a transferable guarantee if the binocular was imported to the States by Zeiss USA. 'Phone them and they will check the serial number against their list.
I have been told that Nikon USA will repair for a nominal sum binoculars imported by them when accompanied by the sales receipt, but ask for confirmation about that.

I agree that the eights, and even the sevens, are better. If you hunt or stalk at dawn or dusk the 8x42 may be a better choice than the 8x32.

Happy observing,
Arthur

500-600 Us$

Nikon Monarch X 8.5x45 Binocular

Is this about the best I can do on a new pair in my price range?
Would I be better off trying to get a demo of something better or used on ebay?

I feel if I buy used on ebay and decide to upgrade later I will not lose much $.

landonspop:

You are a whole lot braver than I am - buying on ebay. Why? You can purchase the binocular's your interested in NEW for under $600. Go to cameraland.com and checkout new Minox HG 8.5x43's for $499.99. AND, if you buy new from a reputable dealer, they will let you return the binocunlars - for any reason, provided that you have not damaged them. You pay for round trip shipping, but otherwise, you get all your money back. Besides Cameraland, try eagleoptics.com and opticsplanet.com. Sometimes one or the other will have a sale on a particular brand, just like Cameraland buying all the old, no longer produced Minox HG's and selling them for half price.

And you might think twice about the new Monarch X binoculars? The one pair that I've tried in a shop was heavy and uncomfortable to handle and most galling of all, the image quality was no better than the old Monarch ATB; which is a GREAT binocular for the money.

Do not under estimate the importance of handling in the field; get something that is comfortable -for you. Lighter weight is always better for handling. Borrow someone's 30 ounce binoculars and wear them around your neck for a couple of hours. If your hiking in back country, the golden rule for binoculars has always been no more than 24 ounces, unless of course you have a gun bearer to carry your equipment.

Good luck, particularly if you buy on ebay.

bearclawthedonut

Last edited:
I realize I have been all over the board, but I thought I knew what I wanted until I received new info during this thread. I think the following two bins are my final choices.

Pentax 8x43 DCF ED Demo $750 or Minox HG 8.5x43 BR ASPH $499.

Minox appears to be better value, but if Pentax is worth the diff, I could stretch this far.

I like to buy quality products and enjoy the best I can afford. But I have to weigh the the cost vs the need and other wants (lol). At this time, the want exceeds the need, but I might enjoy using them and find I have a bigger need (enjoyment) than I see now. The $2000k bins would never be in my range, so this could very well be the first and last pair I buy, which also leads me to try and buy smart.

Thanks you all for replies.

Good to have places like this to get good info vs sales clerks at local stores.

I have seen both your final 43mm Pentax's and 43 mm Minox choices side by side to compare. If you can do it I would get the Pentax ED's. They are optically better in my opinion.

I know you did not ask-But if it was me- I like the 32 mm (8x32 Pentax ED's) better than the larger size. The 43's are nice in the last few minutes of light because of their larger objectives; but over all I just like the 32mm size better. Plus they are a bit cheaper than the 43's.

Last edited:
I have seen both your final 43mm Pentax's and 43 mm Minox choices side by side to compare. If you can do it I would get the Pentax ED's. They are optically better in my opinion.

I know you did not ask-But if it was me- I like the 32 mm (8x32 Pentax ED's) better than the larger size. The 43's are nice in the last few minutes of light because of their larger objectives; but over all I just like the 32mm size better. Plus they are a bit cheaper than the 43's.

I am sure I would like the 32 for size and weight, but does 8-32 work as a do it all bin? I have decided to go down to 8 when I thought I needed 10. If I was to have 2 bins, they would be 8-32 and 10or12-50.

Thanks for reply, looking forward to more..

Hi landonspop,
The 8x32 size is an excellent compromise for a full sized do it all glass.
It is much more comfortable for looking through than the compact 7-8x20-6s while nowhere as big and heavy as the 8x40s.
It is a size that kids can manage pretty early, bigger glass takes bigger kids.
It is easier to take along,, especially for trips where you get out of the car for longer periods.

You mentioned stabilization and imo the Canon 10x42IS is a unique value, superb glass, wonderfully bright, very sharp and an exceptional performer thanks to its stabilized image. However, it is a brick. Still, the smaller Canon 10x30IS might be a contender, it is sized more comfortably although not waterproof.

I am sure I would like the 32 for size and weight, but does 8-32 work as a do it all bin? I have decided to go down to 8 when I thought I needed 10. If I was to have 2 bins, they would be 8-32 and 10or12-50.

Thanks for reply, looking forward to more..

The Pentax 32mm does very well in the last few, or first minutes of light. It is very bright and clear. Good 32 mm glass is like that. For example the Swarovski 8x32 EL really compares very well to the 8.5x42 Regular EL in very low light.

If I was to have a 10 x or a 12x 50 glass like you stated above, then I would definitely get a 32mm size to go along with them instead of a 42mm. Like was stated above- a good quality 32 or 30mm glass is a great all around glass; a real pleasure to carry all day. That size IMHO is probably the most useful all around hunting glass that you can have. If you get any sort of quality 32 mm glass size, I would venture to guess that it will become your most carried piece of glass. Plus if you also have a good 10x or so, for long term glassing while sitting or standing still-you are not really giving anything up.

Good luck with your choice, it really can be fun if you allow it to be.
-Cheers

First time buyer. Can't decide between 8x42 or 10x42.

Uses:
I have no full time passion as of now.
Hunting (mostly at 100-200 yds S Texas)
Family vacations (camping and hiking)
Sports.. son is only 6 so awhile before I will be far enough away to need bins
but do attend 5-10 footall/baseball gms per year
Fishing never used for this before, but with new boat, may come in handy for navigating

My hunting friends recommend 10's

From what I have read 8's may be better.. when it comes to stabilizing (?)

What are some of the deciding factors?

Thanks in adv.

Landonspop:

I just had a chance to go back to your original post and you have a lot of
great advice from the posters along the way. It seems for all around the 8X
would be your best choice. And then, for going to ballgames, as well as just a good all around size then that would be the 8x32 or 8x30. The smaller size will be a lot nicer for lighter weight and handling vs. the 8x42. Even when hunting
in low light a quality 8x32 can satisfy even the pro deer hunter. Now you have
mentioned both Minox and Pentax. But see if you can get a chance to handle
them, now just to give you something to question, the view through an 8x42
is just a little nicer, and what I mean, easier !! ;)

Jerry

Landonspop:

I just had a chance to go back to your original post and you have a lot of
great advice from the posters along the way. It seems for all around the 8X
would be your best choice. And then, for going to ballgames, as well as just a good all around size then that would be the 8x32 or 8x30. The smaller size will be a lot nicer for lighter weight and handling vs. the 8x42. Even when hunting
in low light a quality 8x32 can satisfy even the pro deer hunter. Now you have
mentioned both Minox and Pentax. But see if you can get a chance to handle
them, now just to give you something to question, the view through an 8x42
is just a little nicer, and what I mean, easier !! ;)

Jerry

I have decided on 8's.

Leaning towards 42 for do it all bins.... If I was sure the 32 would get the job done, I would appreciate the weight and size I am sure....

Some have said a good 32 glass has the brightness of a weaker 42...

thanks.. I have learned a lot before even using bins

I have decided on 8's.

Leaning towards 42 for do it all bins.... If I was sure the 32 would get the job done, I would appreciate the weight and size I am sure....

Some have said a good 32 glass has the brightness of a weaker 42...

thanks.. I have learned a lot before even using bins

There are some places where you can order both (like Eagle Optics and others)

And then you usually have 30 days to return them. It usually only costs you return shipping to do that. They are more than happy to do that. Then you have a chance to see them up close and personal; nothing like having the optics in your hands to see which ones you really like. It is well worth the extra $$ for the research and to help finalize your decision.

Good Luck

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back