• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Peregrines in Canterbury (1 Viewer)

Edmund565

I wonder if anyone had any information on Peregrines in Canterbury. I was recently told that there are Peregrines nesting in Canterbury Cathedral and the RSPB have put up special nesting materials for them. I also think I have seen them a few times as well since being told.

I was wondering if anyone had any information on them at all as I cannot find any on the internet

Thank you

Edmund, first good to see another resident of our fair city here.

I've been watching the Peregrines on the cathedral for a few years now. First only a single bird was present during the winter, then a second bird appeared but promptly vanished come the breeding season. Next we had a very noisy pair of lovers that laid an egg but failed to raise young. There was a nest box put up on one of the two smaller towers, but the birds preferred to nest on the Bell Harry Tower itself. Unfortunately, one of the birds then disappeared and only one bird (as far as I'm aware) has been around this winter. It's still present and can most regularly be seen high up on the face of the Bell Harry that faces Northgate (in fact I can scope it if I step out of my front door). Incidentally, before anyone tells me off for being so free and easy with info on a schedule one species, I should add that this situation has been well covered in the local media and that access to the nest is not possible,

Is it possible that there could be two birds. When in the grounds of the Cathedral the other day, I heard a bird of prey calling as well as finding the remains of some unlucky pigeons. Would this be the bird calling because it was lonely or because it has young or a partner?

Have you ever managed to see the bird hunting or get any close views? Mine have all been from a distance and often from difficult angles so the bird was only in view for a few seconds or so.

I'm not entirely sure about all the reasons why Peregrines call or not, but the bird were certainly a lot more vocal when there were defintely two present and I would expect them to be more vocal if young were present. However, I'm not by any means an expert on the species. I too have sometimes heard the bird call this spring, but, unlike when two birds were present, only infrequently. Previously, I had little difficulty in seeing two birds on a regular basis, but I've only seen one for over a year now. That said, I wouldn't be entirely surprised if a second bird appeared although I'd expect one to turn up a little later in the year.

As I noted previously, I usually see the bird perched high on the 'Northgate' face of the Bell Harry - generally, on a small ledge half way up on the right hand side of the right hand way up lancet window. Scope views are pretty good, but so-so through bins. I have had many excellent flight views over the cathedral precincts,

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back