• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mimics caught in the act (1 Viewer)

Jane Turner

Not a brilliant picture, but here is a Bee and its mimic - I'm assuming a hover fly. Also a close up of the mimic

Attachments

• copycat.JPG
    copycat.JPG
    114.1 KB · Views: 173
  • DSCN5961.JPG
    DSCN5961.JPG
    103.7 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:
Well observed Jane. The bee mimic always closes it's wings one above the other and is less active (industrious) than it's looks counterpart. You are right to think that it is a hoverfly (Syriphidae) and is probably one of the members of the genus Eristalis.

It looks like after a search that it might be Eristalis intricarius the second image down on this page.

ps, as you can see, they don't always close their wings. ;)

steve_nova said:
It looks like after a search that it might be Eristalis intricarius the second image down on this page.

ps, as you can see, they don't always close their wings. ;)

If you look closer you will find that Bumblebees have four wings and Hoverflies have only two wings.

Harry

What about the black form of Merodon equestris, the narcissus bulb fly, for the Hover fly?
That looks better than the other common possibilities Volucella bombylans and Eristalis intricarius.

By the way, Jane, is the plant an Erigeron species?

I saw a similar beastie yesterday, though the front section of the thorax was yellowish...

Sorry Joern, no idea about the plant except that it appears to thrive in sand and flowers from April to December......and is loved by all nectar liking insects.

Attachments

• DSCN5969.JPG
    DSCN5969.JPG
    181.5 KB · Views: 170
I know Jörn is correct with the Erigeron and is also probably correct for the insect ident.
I am familiar with various species of Erigeron (work in a garden centre) and thought that at first sight especially because of the ruff of involucral bracts behind the flower head and the fact there are far more florets in the head that a Bellis or Leucanthemum.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back