• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kino Bay, Mexico (1 Viewer)

bineshii

Hi everone! I just got back from a three week field course at my college's station in Kino Bay, Mexico. The course was in natural history and cultural ecology, which covers a lot of ground in a short time. I was able to see quite a few birds during the course, but only had a pair of 8x20 bins so couldn't id as many as I saw. We took several ponga trips to some of the islands in the gulf and saw a lot of seabirds breeding. we also saw dolphins, whales, and a special treat of having a family of Orcas swim along with our ponga-check out the attached photo! I'll post more photos in the gallery. Anyway, here is a list of what I could id:

Sooty Shearwater
Black Storm-Petrel
Least Storm-Petrel
Brown Pelican
Brown Booby
Blue-Footed Booby
Magnifcent Frigatebird
Red-Billed Tropicbird
Brandt's Cormorant
Double-Crested Cormorant
Great Blue Heron
Reddish Egret
Great Egret
Snowy Egret
Little Blue Heron
Tricolored Heron
Green Heron
Black-Crowned Night Heron
Yellow-Crowned Night Heron
White Faced Ibis
Black Vulture
Turkey Vulture
Harris's Hawk
Red-Tailed Hawk
Osprey
American Kestrel
Perigrine Falcon
Gambel's Quail
Wilson's Plover
American Oystercatcher
Long-Billed Curlew
Marbled Godwit
Willet
Laughing Gull
Yellow-Footed Gull
Heermann's Gull
Black Tern
Least Tern
Caspian Tern
Royal Tern
Elegant Tern
Forster's Tern
White-Winged Dove
Mourning Dove
Common Ground-Dove
Greater Roadrunner
Great Horned Owl
Lesser Nighthawk
Common Poorwill
Broad-Billed Hummingbird
Costa's Hummingbird
Broad-Tailed Hummingbird
Gila Woodpecker
Vermillion Flycatcher
Tropical Kingbird
Common Raven
Violet-Green Swallow
Verdin
Cactus Wren
Black-Tailed Gnatcatcher
Mangrove Warbler
Northern Cardinal
Pyrrhuloxia
Black-Throated Sparrow
Rufous-Winged Sparrow
Hooded Oriole
Great-Tailed Grackle
House Finch
House Sparrow

Now I have a week to prepare then its off to Costa Rica for my tropical biology course- I can't wait!

Attachments

• orca by boat email.jpg
    orca by boat email.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 202
Stu,
Nice list. Thanks for posting the report. I was curious to see what birds you would get there. It's an area I haven't made it to YET. A lot of your seabirds would be lifers for me and that White-faced Ibis. Hope (KNOW) you'll enjoy Costa Rica. Buen Viaje!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back