• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RSPB HD 10x42 Binoculars (1 Viewer)

doozer

I am really concidering the RSPB HD 10x42 Binoculars!
Is there any reason I shouldn't?

I really can't justify buying the Swarovski's even though I am tempted..I keep picking them up and then walking away.(I do put them back down first o:D)

Should I get the RSPB which seem great value for the money or a reasonable equivalent.

Any advice would be appretiated

Moved from other to have more views and maybe replies....

Friend of mine just bought the 8x version. They're very nice. Seem to be popular - met an RSPB voluteer who'd bought a new pair for 250quid and seemed very happy (volunteers get special deals...wonder how much profit is left over for the RSPB at that price?). The 10x I've only handled briefly.

Personally, if I had about 500+ quid I'd be tempted by an ex- demo pair of Steiner Discovery 10x44 currently on ebay for 650 quid. (I have no connection with the sale, but do have two pairs myself)

Hi Doozer

I’ve just purchased the 8X42 RSPB HD bins and can absolutely recommend them to you. The image is bright, sharp (very), clear and colours are great even in the twilight (I was watching Tawny Owls with mine last night). I get no distortion at the edges of the image with mine. They are just brilliant.

Like you, I yearned after the Swarovski's but when I had a chance to compare the new RSPB ones with them I couldn’t justify spending that much more. So, I brought two of the RSPB ones (one for the Wife) and had £600.00 change!

My advice is get them!
:t:

I am also an RSPB volunteer and got mine two or so years ago at less than the recommended RSPB price ( mine are 8X42). I think they are an excellent buy at any price and certainly a good bargain even at the normal RSPB price.:t:

My partner has had a pair of 8x42s for a couple of months and they are very good. However, I tried them the other day and noticed that the hinge was a bit slack and it was very easy for the IPD to go out of adjustment. I don't know if they have been like that from new as she hasn't mentioned it and I haven't had the chance to try out another pair since noticing it. Has anybody else had this problem?

Ron

Hi Ron,

My Wife and I have had ours for just on a month now and we use them most days. Both sets are fine. There’s no slackness in the hinge and the IPD is OK.

As you’ve only just had them I’d contact the RSPB shop where you got them from.

My dad bought a pair of the RSPB 10x42HD yesterday and I'm very impressed with them, I have the Swaro EL's and all things considered they are better than the RSPB ones but i cant honestly say they are anywhere near three times as good.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back