• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Moving to Lincs. soon (1 Viewer)

Goldfynche

Hi. I will probably be moving to Lincolnshire, within the the next 12 months, hopefully sooner. Hoping to find somewhere in one of the villages outside Spalding. As I have never been to The Wash, before. I am wondering what the birding is like, and more importantly, the access. As there doesn't appear to be any made up roads, on the maps of the area.

hi
from spalding you are half hour to frampton ( rspb ) and 1-1/2 hours to norfolk coast . there are plenty of lincs sites ( gibraltar point , whisby etc ) just google lincs wildlife . i believe they are developing a big site not far from spalding but cant remember where
les

Goldfynche. RSPB Frampton and Freiston are fairly newly developed sites and Frampton especially is beginning to be recognised as the Titchwell of Lincolnshire. You should enjoy many happy hours of birding around south Lincs without bothering to go very much further afield.The road network around here is just as good or as bad as anywhere else in the country and there is usually a lot less traffic on them as well! :t:

Last edited:
Many thanks for your replies, about Lincs. I don't know the East coast very well, so my next question is. How far up, does one have to go, before Puffins start appearing?

I lived in Donington between Boston and Spalding a few years ago but sadly didn't do any birdwatching in those days. |=(| With The Wash on the doorstep so to speak, would have improved things on end.

Book yourself onto the RSPB cruise that goes from Boston, well worth it. You'll have to book early as it gets full very quickly.

Di

its strange but i prefer gib point for waders over frampton . i think frampton is better for pippitts and perhaps high tide times etc but then again gib has some woods and all that goes with it

les

Puffins, well they have sometimes been recorded in the Wash but you will have to go up to Bempton in Yorkshire in springtime to see them on the cliffs.

Once again, many thanks for some very informative replies. The RSPB boat trips from Boston, sounds like a brilliant idea.

Last edited:
Look at the Lincs Bird club site -well worth joining.Also South Lincs RSPB which gives sightings and details of trips including the cruises.

Hugh

Wow! It sounds like a perfectly idyllic place to live. I can't wait to start exploring the area. :-O
My son & daughter, who have both recently dumped their partners, for being 'unsuitable', will be living with me, wherever we eventually end up. My daughter, however, has reservations. As, at the moment, she lives in Scotland. So will miss the mountains, tremendously.

What about Owls? My daughter is very much into Owls. I can imagine Barn Owls, over the fields. But are there Tawny's in the towns or villages?
I think she wants to make this, one of her criteria for moving from Scotland.

Barn, short eared, long eared, tawny, and little they are all here somewhere. Can't offer any mountains lo, there's always a downside.:C

A couple of the TV programme 'Coast' episodes, covered Yorkshire, down to north Norfolk, today. A very beautiful area. Can't wait to move there.

Ah someone else considering moving to Lincs! I am too, although I would make the step from the Netherlands! I dreamt of moving to the Seahouses area but can't find a suitable house and possiblity of a self catering cottage to rent out. Other areas did not seem to be attractive enough for me and now I found something near Skegness.

So.. I am also exploring the area and am on the look out for birding possibilities.... looks like a fine area but I can't help noticing that it is pretty quiet on the board with respect to sightings and all that.

Well... still in the 'adding up facts and figures stage' so it will be a while.

Suggestions are welcome for me as well!

Maxfoto,, see all the replies to queries given above. We have just as many records of rareities as anywhere else. We take them for granted so don't always bother to report or record them too often. It's nice and quite and peaceful here so we want to keep this part of the world all to ourselves. By the way nice and flat here in the Fens, will suit you people living in The Netherlands to a T:t:

Last edited:
Looking at maps of the region. I should imagine that East Anglia and Holland, were part of the same land mass, a 'few' years ago.

you should join the licolnshire WLT they are very active and always have lots of activities going on each month. They will email a newsletter each month.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back