• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anyone seen the Venus transit? (1 Viewer)

I have seen it just now (hot and bright day in southwest germany), but it is just a little speck on the sun (like a fly had crapped in the wrong place- nothing as spectacular as the total eclipse of the sun)-Still interesting

yes Michael

we have rigged up a pair of bins at school and are projecting it onto a piece of card. Pupils not really interested though I'm afraid. When it gets hot, any enthusiam they did have is sapped away.....

A mediocre pic of a projection attached. It doesn't really get much more interesting than that though I'm afraid.

Attachments

• venus_jun_04.jpg
    venus_jun_04.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 160
Good view from here Michael, I'm using the Eclipse viewers from 1999 to view safely.
Venus looks very small compared to the size of the Sun.

Aagghhhh I was really looking forward to seeing it today...couldn't get over the fact that something was actually happening on my day off!!! Normally i'm imprisoned indoors and miss all the good stuff!!!
It's now 11.27am and the thunder and rain has stopped and it looks as if it'll fractionally clear up...fingers crossed.
Can't believe it rained....I'd planned to get stuck into the gardening this morning, have my driving lesson and then nip along to the Lighthouse or Gosforth Park..knew I shouldn't have made plans!!!

Is it really FIVE YEARS since the Eclipse? It only feels like yesterday...I remember being at work in Whitley Bay when it happened and me and the boss going outside to look at it.

GILL

Gill Osborne said:
Aagghhhh I was really looking forward to seeing it today...couldn't get over the fact that something was actually happening on my day off!!! Normally i'm imprisoned indoors and miss all the good stuff!!!
It's now 11.27am and the thunder and rain has stopped and it looks as if it'll fractionally clear up...fingers crossed.
Can't believe it rained....I'd planned to get stuck into the gardening this morning, have my driving lesson and then nip along to the Lighthouse or Gosforth Park..knew I shouldn't have made plans!!!

Is it really FIVE YEARS since the Eclipse? It only feels like yesterday...I remember being at work in Whitley Bay when it happened and me and the boss going outside to look at it.

GILL

Hi Gill,
I have the same weather as you, rain and total cloud cover, however I did see a Ford Transit when going to the village shop this morning. lol.

Harry

Not quite sure what a Ford Transit looks like....I've got a little blue Fiesta, if that counts???

HIP HIP HOORAY.....it's 12.02 and the sun has just peeped through over 'sunny' North shields.....I'm off out...BYEEEEeee!!! LOL

GILL

We had clear skies here in London. I brought my scope & tripod into work and set it up in the kitchen, projecting the image (about 60cm across) onto a projector screen.
The image was fairly sharp despite being obliquely through a plain window.

The funny thing is how fast the sun moves when you magnify it. Also made me realise that my tripod head is rubbish, but that's a different story.

brianhstone said:
A mediocre pic of a projection attached. It doesn't really get much more interesting than that though I'm afraid.
Great photo brian - thanks! It's too foggy over here and besides I think it already passed - glad to hear we have another shot in 2012!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back