• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Recent moths - many from Norfolk (1 Viewer)

Brian Stone

A Stone chatting
Some moths taken in the past week. Hopefully some will be a bit different.

Schoenobius gigantella is a whopping micro with huge labial palps (the sticky out bits at the front). Male and female shown here and the female has a wingspan of up to 46mm. Goater has this as flying from July but they were out in force in places on the Norfolk Broads at the beginning of June.

Flame Wainscot and Reed Dagger are nationally scarce species confined to fenland/reedbeds where they are locally abundant.

Nascia cilialis must have expanded its range since Goater was published as this was plentiful at a couple of Broadland locations.

Attachments

• flame_wainscot_irstead_may_04_800.jpg
    flame_wainscot_irstead_may_04_800.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 134
  • reed_dagger_irstead_may_04_800.jpg
    reed_dagger_irstead_may_04_800.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 141
  • nascia_cilialis_irstead_may_04_800.jpg
    nascia_cilialis_irstead_may_04_800.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 144
  • schoenobius_gigantella_f_broads_jun_04_800.jpg
    schoenobius_gigantella_f_broads_jun_04_800.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 153
  • schoenobius_gigantella_m_broads_jun_04_800.jpg
    schoenobius_gigantella_m_broads_jun_04_800.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
This next lot are commoner. I couldn't resist another pic of Eyed Hawk-moth. These were abundant on the Broads with up to 11 at a time on more than one occasion.

Adaina microdactyla is the smallest UK plume moth.

The larva of Ringed China-mark are aquatic so this is a wetland species.

Puss Moth is another I couldn't resist even though it is common and I have put this pic in the gallery.

Finally Cream-bordered Green Pea is another local fen speciality. It is a tiny macro less than half the size of the female gigantella in the previous pics.

Attachments

• eyed_hawk_irstead_may_04_800.jpg
    eyed_hawk_irstead_may_04_800.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 151
  • adaina_microdactyla_may_04_640.jpg
    adaina_microdactyla_may_04_640.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 143
  • ringed_china_mark_broads_31may_04_800.jpg
    ringed_china_mark_broads_31may_04_800.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 143
  • puss_jun_04_800a.jpg
    puss_jun_04_800a.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 140
  • cb_green_pea_1_jun_04_800.jpg
    cb_green_pea_1_jun_04_800.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 129
Lastly a brace of Coronets. Both were taken at my garden trap on 6 June and the Marbled Coronet is probably the 6th for the vice-county. It prefers limestone grassland, which is scarce in the VC but there is some just outside near where I am in the far NW corner. Varied Coronet provides a comparison.

Edited to add one more (the last pic). I wasn't expecting Clouded Bordered Brindle in my garden so this one had me fooled for a while. Although I caught one in Norfolk last week there doesn't seem to be the marshy habitat near my garden.

Attachments

• marbled_coronet_6jun_04_800.jpg
    marbled_coronet_6jun_04_800.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 137
  • varied_coronet_6jun_04_800.jpg
    varied_coronet_6jun_04_800.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 126
  • small_clouded_brindle_6jun_04_800.jpg
    small_clouded_brindle_6jun_04_800.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:
Surreybirder said:
Great pix, Brian!

I agree, cracking photographs. Apart from the Puss Moth, all strangers to me in real life up here in the north.

I did see a Small Copper today, he was only about 5'4", they don't make then like they used to.
Boom boom.

Harry.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back