• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

This is a Poplar Hawk Moth -- isn't it? (1 Viewer)

Reader

I have never seen any type of Hawk Moth ever in my life but my missus came home from work this morning (she works nights at the local Asda) with a paper Coca Cola cup covered over by a plastic bag. In it was this fantastic moth.

Apparently it came into the kitchens and frightened a few of the people in there and Ros (bless her) said that she wouldn't taking it home because her partner (me) would love to see it and to photograph it. There were some very funny replies apparently but one chap duly picked it off wherever it had settled and lo & behold here are the pictures of it.

It looks a bit ragged as its wings are a bit this and ragged but even so, it's my very first Hawk Moth of any sort and I'm well chuffed.

I placed it on a shelf in the Greenhouse this morning and it is still there (18:40) tonight.

As my title suggests, it is a Poplar hawk Moth -- isn't it?

Attachments

• Poplar Hawkmoth 2610.jpg
    Poplar Hawkmoth 2610.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 599
  • Poplar Hawkmoth 2625.jpg
    Poplar Hawkmoth 2625.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 534
  • Poplar Hawkmoth 2618.jpg
    Poplar Hawkmoth 2618.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 367
  • Poplar Hawkmoth 2623.jpg
    Poplar Hawkmoth 2623.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 2,277
  • Poplar Hawkmoth 2621.jpg
    Poplar Hawkmoth 2621.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 459
Reader said:
I have never seen any type of Hawk Moth ever in my life but my missus came home from work this morning (she works nights at the local Asda) with a paper Coca Cola cup covered over by a plastic bag. In it was this fantastic moth.

Apparently it came into the kitchens and frightened a few of the people in there and Ros (bless her) said that she wouldn't taking it home because her partner (me) would love to see it and to photograph it. There were some very funny replies apparently but one chap duly picked it off wherever it had settled and lo & behold here are the pictures of it.

It looks a bit ragged as its wings are a bit this and ragged but even so, it's my very first Hawk Moth of any sort and I'm well chuffed.

I placed it on a shelf in the Greenhouse this morning and it is still there (18:40) tonight.

As my title suggests, it is a Poplar hawk Moth -- isn't it?

Hi Reader,

Yes it is a Poplar Hawk, one of the commonest of British Hawkmoths. Try putting it outside the greenhouse this evening and let it fly off. It's a wonder it survived the heat in a greenhouse during the day. I have seen many a butterfly enter a greenhouse through a wide open door and simply drop dead in flight due to the heat.

Harry

To be honest Harry the greenhouse is well ventilated with both the door and windows open all day, plus the Hawkmoth is hidden under a shelf.

It was my intention to put it out tonight it's just that I didn't feel very confident in any safe places, whilst I was at work, to put it this morning.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back