• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Using a Telescope and Camera (1 Viewer)

ROBL250

I have a Olympus camera (Zoom 80), and a telescope, Ive been trying a experiment on Dunnocks and House sparrows.
I had the idea from my astronomy hobby (Using a camera placed on the eyepiece to get a bigger image.)
Has anyone tried this before, and how were the results, Ive yet to get the film processed, but I was just wondering how anyone else's turned out.

Thanks

ROBL250 said:
I have a Olympus camera (Zoom 80), and a telescope, Ive been trying a experiment on Dunnocks and House sparrows.
I had the idea from my astronomy hobby (Using a camera placed on the eyepiece to get a bigger image.)
Has anyone tried this before, and how were the results, Ive yet to get the film processed, but I was just wondering how anyone else's turned out.

Thanks

Yes, the web is full of people using this technique. Most, however, use a digital camera rather than a film camera. The common term is "digiscoping".

With the right combination of equipment and some practice, the results can range from "OK" to very nice.

There is an entire forum on birdforum.net devoted to digiscoping.

Yep, this is how it all started many years ago ...compact 35mm held up against a telescope. Digiscoping isn't quite the 'amazing new breakthrough' that some think ....though it's far easier using a digital camera and seeing how bad the image is within a second ;)

Andy Bright said:
Yep, this is how it all started many years ago ...compact 35mm held up against a telescope. Digiscoping isn't quite the 'amazing new breakthrough' that some think ....though it's far easier using a digital camera and seeing how bad the image is within a second ;)

There's a photo in my 'Leica Manual'(1947), taken in 1935, of the moon shot through a rangefinder Leica coupled to a Zeiss scope, so you're right, Andy, 'There's nothing new under the sun'

Adey Baker said:
There's a photo in my 'Leica Manual'(1947), taken in 1935, of the moon shot through a rangefinder Leica coupled to a Zeiss scope, so you're right, Andy, 'There's nothing new under the sun'
Or moon!.

Adey Baker said:
OK, OK,

Moon, shot

The BF pedants dept will be watching closely, no doubt!
I think Alan was having a slight joke in reference to your phrase 'nothing new under the sun' rather than being pedantic about punctuation

Andy Bright said:
I think Alan was having a slight joke in reference to your phrase 'nothing new under the sun' rather than being pedantic about punctuation
Too true. It was the nothing new under the moon.
I'm renowned for my puns and prose!.
I'm the one of those who shouldn't criticise punctuation or spelling!.
Let he who is without etc.

Oops - getting old! It's just the kind of pun that I would have picked up on, myself so no excuses for missing that.

Mind you, a photo of a 1935 Moon-shot would be as good as one of Lord Lucan riding Shergar!

Incidentally, on a straight note, the set-up by the bloke in 1935 involved mounting the camera without the lens (so not quite the fore-runner to digiscoping). I used to have the camera adaptor for my old double draw-tube Optolyth 30x80 scope and that didn't use the camera's lens, either. It fitted via a sort of extension tube with a screw-fit for the rubber eyepiece fitting on one end and a T2 mount on the other.

The logic of this is (and I've mentioned it before on a different thread) it ought to be possible to rig up just a tube of some sort to fit an SLR to any scope - I've had a go just cupping my hands around the camera lens-mount and scope eyepiece with no success but someone with more inventive skills than me might like to waste a few minutes on it to see what they can come up with!

Last edited:
Adey Baker said:
Incidentally, on a straight note, the set-up by the bloke in 1935 involved mounting the camera without the lens (so not quite the fore-runner to digiscoping).

Digiscoping is afocal coupling with a digital camera. Afocal coupling is about as old as optics and cameras. Using the eyepiece and no camera lens as Adey mentions above is called eyepiece projection.

So yes, digiscoping isn't some new technological breakthrough. But when the first people repeated the same thing that has been done through the years with various scopes and cameras, some of them noticed a significantly better result. We happen to live in a time when a lot of the things that made this type of photography impractical has been improved very significantly.

Lens coatings make prictical the stack of the many optical surfaces found in the scope objective, eyepiece and zoom camera lens digiscoping combo. Without these advanced coatings, I suspect the image would be extremely low in contrast.

The small CCD found in digicams results in small camera lenses which have entrance pupils that can fall within the eye relief of the scope. This combined with relatively long eye relief eye pieces (common because scope manufacturers are being more sensitive to the needs of people wearing glasses) lets many more camera and eyepiece combination work well.

And finally, high power spotting scopes for birding have really advanced in quality over the past few decades.

When you combine these elements (and probably others like autoexposure and autofocus) with the near instantaneous feedback and the super low cost per shot of a digital camera, an approach that used to typically yield poor results becomes quite viable and practical.

So at a fundamental level, it is true that digiscoping isn't new. But at a practical level, there is a good reason it is perceived by many as a "new breaktrough". Without the relatively new developement of the digital camera and the refinement of other related technologies, digiscoping would not be a very viable technique.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back