• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Walking Boots (1 Viewer)

Nickgas

Sorry if I'm replicating other threads but my faithful old Aku walking boots have finally given up the ghost. Any recommendations for a good, lightweight, waterproof pair? I'm particularly keen on high breathability and prefer 'fabric' boots to leather.

THanks in advance for any recommendations
Nick

What about salamon/berghaus/merrell/scarpa.......I have had them all over the years, best for me were Berghaus. £140 but last years.

Earlier this year I decided that I wanted a pair of lightweight boots for summer use. After trying on several different pairs I settled on Scarpa Mistral GTX. They are very light and are by far the most comfortable boots that I have ever had. I assumed that they would be made in China but, according to the label, they are made in Italy like the other, more expensive Scarpa boots. I am not sure how well they would cope with winter conditions but if I decide to get some winter boots I will definitely try some of the tougher models in their range.

Ron

Last edited:
Hi Nickgas, it's a matter of ...feet Aku ale light and comfortable (as gloves) but aren t 100% waterproof , Meindl are geman and very comfortable ( in german way) and la Scarpa are italian ,the strongest of the trio but less comfortabe (but definitely 100 % waterprof)

Lorenzo

Hmm. Mine are pre takeover so now you have me wondering!

Mike

I expect they'll be crap now. Karrimor are a Sports Direct brand. Sports Direct make their money from selling complete tat on the back of established brand reputation (Slazenger, Dunlop etc.)

Graham

I have Contour boots which I think are the best bargain around. Basically they are last year's Scarpa boots, (using the same lasts and materials), but manufactured in Romania, not Italy, and thus half the price.

Have a look on Outdoors Magic - I find the gear reviews and discussions on there really useful and reliable.

Graham

Last edited:
I had a pair of KSB and though inexpensive, I disliked them.

When they started leaking I got a pair of Han Wag Cheyenne
(from Barkers of Ringwood -- top notch personal service), which were superb, and I've now got Han Wag Cheyenne GTX which are nearly as good.

Thanks for that, I'd heard since the takeover these boots weren't a patch on the old ones? Any thoughts?
I bought a pair of Sports Direct KSB Summit 80 shoes a couple of years ago - before I'd heard about the take-over.

Worst outdoor footwear I've ever owned in my life.

as said before, get yourself a pair of 'four season' boots from Berghaus......brilliant. And with the 'four season' boots you can get crampons and climb Mt Everest!!

I bought a pair of Sports Direct KSB Summit 80 shoes a couple of years ago - before I'd heard about the take-over.

Worst outdoor footwear I've ever owned in my life.

That's very true i bought a pair of walking shoes from there and they really hurt my feet.If you turn them over and feel the grip it's more like plastic than rubber.But as the saying goes you get what you pay for.

For the wetter, muddier or cold, frosty and snow laden walks I bought a pair of Muckboots wellies last year. Quite thick and waterproof neoprene upper leg and a lot of insulation, as well as being lightweight, so wearing for several hours and a lot of walking and they still feel comfortable.
Even in the coldest weather, a single pair of socks was all that was needed and even when standing around for long periods I never got cold feet. For the rest of the year I just wear my Oakley Tactical-6 boots, they provide enough waterproofing and comfort the rest of the time.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back