• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Moth number 1000 and a few hawks (1 Viewer)

Brian Stone

A Stone chatting
Recorded my thousandth moth of the year for my garden this morning. Still a few to sort out from last night but will have around 1020 records of 150 species (about what Angus gets in one night ;)). Most numerous species is Hebrew Character on 115, with Large Nutmeg catching up fast on 102. Trapped on 61 days so far this year.

The pic is my lad helping out with a recent catch including Lime, Privet, Poplar and Elephant Hawk-moths.

Attachments

• hawks_jun_04.jpg
    hawks_jun_04.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 79
brianhstone said:
(about what Angus gets in one night ;)). QUOTE]

you mightened be too far wrong there! Haven't finished from last night yet, but must be close to 120sp. Definitely at least 94 species in one trap.

Anyway back to you, thats 1000+ records, not moths. Must be 3-4000 moths??

Any way well done.

Happy continued mothing , blunderwings (LYU) and all.

brianhstone said:
Recorded my thousandth moth of the year for my garden this morning. Still a few to sort out from last night but will have around 1020 records of 150 species (about what Angus gets in one night ;)). Most numerous species is Hebrew Character on 115, with Large Nutmeg catching up fast on 102. Trapped on 61 days so far this year.

The pic is my lad helping out with a recent catch including Lime, Privet, Poplar and Elephant Hawk-moths.

You know, some people can get right up your nose, can't they? I haven't had a single Hawkmoth this year as yet. lol.

Harry
I think Brian is a jam spangled bar-steward.

Well done , perhaps with all your gained experiance you can help me out with this little lot?

Attachments

• moth1206041.jpg
    moth1206041.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 80
  • moth1206042.jpg
    moth1206042.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 96
  • moth130604.jpg
    moth130604.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 101
brianhstone said:

Haven't had a single Large Nutmeg down here! Love the hawkmoth pic!! I still need poplar (and convolvulus--my Nicotania are flowering now, so where are they?!)

swift said:
Well done , perhaps with all your gained experiance you can help me out with this little lot?
Nice photos, Swift. I'm sure Harry, Angus, Chris or Brian will be on to them like a shot. (Definitely moths, though ;) )

Swift said:
I'll have ago.
#1 considering its so worn, its probably Common Marbled Carpet. Flight season for Dark Marbled Carpet is a bit later than CMC. Need to see unside of wings to have chance of confirming.
#2 A lot os similar species, but this is very likely to be Scoparia pyralella (pyralid) A possibility it could be S ancipitella. Don't know anything about this latter one, how widespread etc.
#3 Looks like a Marbled something, but don't know what the 'something' is
#4 An indication of size may help. couild even be a worn Heart & Dart??...............I'm only guessing.

Swift said:

Hi Swift,
To add to what Angus has already said no 3 looks like Marbled beauty, quite a variable species and very common in my parts.

Harry.

Number four looked to all intents and purposes like a mouse moth but without the third spot , this has been very hard to type correctly after nine pints of real ale.......................

Swift said:
Number four looked to all intents and purposes like a mouse moth but without the third spot , this has been very hard to type correctly after nine pints of real ale.......................

After nine pints I'm surprised you can see the keyboard, never mind the keys. lol.

Harry

Surreybirder said:
Haven't had a single Large Nutmeg down here! Love the hawkmoth pic!! I still need poplar (and convolvulus--my Nicotania are flowering now, so where are they?!)

Patience Ken,
Most Convolvulous turn up in numbers from July onwards (last year was an exception) your more likely to get them August to November. I think you had better plant some more seeds. lol.
Mine are now needing to be potted on, they're about 5" tall. They should be nicely ready for the 'invasion' if it occurs.

Harry

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back