• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FS7 preferred setting (1 Viewer)

grumps

Hi all, Guess some others may be using this.I have one with Opricron ES 80ED.

Still very much a beginner at digi scoping so would appreciate advice on what settings others use given there aren't that many options.
Was told to use macro setting and had moderate results. Recently was advised to use intelligent auto.

I appreciate the need to experiment and practice but it would be helpful to know what others use/suggest as a starting point.

Many thanks,

Hugh

Thanks to the nice man from Infocus at Whisby on Sunday I now have a starting point but would appreciate tips from any who use this camera.

Did anyone have any tips re LUMIX FS7 and digiscoping?

Hi
I have recently purchased an adaptor that attaches my Panasonic Lumix FS7 to my Bushnell Spacemaster II (60mm with a 25x eyepiece). I'm not expecting razor sharp results from such modest kit, but I do want to see what I can achieve...

I have some suggestions to offer and aquestion to ask:

Suggestions:
There are several focus modes, don't try this with 'face recognition' active. One of the other modes is a 'spot' mode that focuses on whatever is in the centre of the frame - use that one.

Use 2 second time delay so that your hands are off the camera when the shot is taken and vibration has had a chance to stop.

When pressing the shutter, press halfway first and give the camera a moment to 'lock on' to the subject. This seems to calm the camera down a bit, it doesn't 'chase' the shot quite as much (more of this below in my question).

Use 'auto-bracketing' at 1/3 setting, so that when you release the shutter, you get 3 shots taken with slightly different exposures. This gives a better chance of the bird, the exposure, the vibration, the focus etc all being 'right'.

Question:

I am still struggling to get the focus I want. The telescope seems focussed (according to the FS7 screen); the camera locks on to the image and previews a sharp shot, but when I press the shutter, the camera seems to do some extra computing and adjusting, often destroying the focus I thought I had - any ideas?

I read that setting to 'landscape/mountains' might be a work-round on some cameras, but the FS7 will still try to fine focus between 5m and infinity: it isn't an infinity setting. Is there one?

The 'Sport' setting might be an idea, again 5m+ focussing with an auto ISO that will always keep the shutter speed fast (at the expense of quality, of course).

Has anyone conquered focussing when digiscoping with the FS7 (or with any similar compact digital)? Is this a battle I can win?

Thanks

Rob

Hi,
I use the same settings as yourself in macro mode.I have the DMC-FS10 camera which is simular to the FS-7.I have had a few good pictures but far too many photos have been ruined by the cameras tendancy to fine focus itself(re-focus).I tend to use the AF Macro setting but may try the Macro Zoom setting soon.I have tried the Sports setting but found it was not all that good on the day.
As yet I have not found a way of stopping or overcoming these blurred images caused through the camera fine focusing itself.At times I wish I could turn off the automatic focus and just rely on the scope to focus.It would be so much more easier.
Untill then it's simply a case of plodding on trying untill the problem is solved or I give up and try another camera.

Finally got the hang of it with some reasonable pictures.Best to use the camera with the image stabiliser off and in macro mode.Photos still need a little tweeking here and there but it's not that bad considering how little the camera costs compared to many others on the market.I'm actually a little impressed now and feel a big red glow swelling up from inside.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back