• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wasp Orchid?? (1 Viewer)

birder

Please can I have comments on whether this is or is not a Wasp Orchid. I photographed it yesterday (14/6) in north Norfolk, at a site where they have been recorded before. I have never seen one myself before. There was only 1 spike and it was among a few spikes of Bee Orchid. Thank you. Kevin

Attachments

• WASP ORCHID 1.gif
    WASP ORCHID 1.gif
    91.2 KB · Views: 576
  • WASP ORCHID 2.gif
    WASP ORCHID 2.gif
    120.7 KB · Views: 432
  • BEE ORCHID 1.gif
    BEE ORCHID 1.gif
    107.7 KB · Views: 293
  • BEE ORCHID 2.gif
    BEE ORCHID 2.gif
    87.6 KB · Views: 296
  • BEE ORCHID 3.gif
    BEE ORCHID 3.gif
    113.5 KB · Views: 318
Sorry, I got ahead of myself there. The two images on the left are the putative Wasp, and the right hand three are 'normal' Bees. Kevin

Hi Christine, I should have mentioned that the Wasp Orchid Ophrys apifera var. trollii is a variant of the Bee Orchid Ophrys apifera and much less common.

Thanks,Steve.It appears that the Wasp Orchid is more blue in colour than the Bee,which seems to be mauve.When I ever mangage to go over to the reserve ,will have a close look,and see if any Wasp Orchids are over there.

Kevin

In my opinion your flower was not a Wasp orchid; although the shape of the lip fits closely, the colour is wrong - in Wasp, the lip is green with the purple patterning, and looks very pale and washed out. Your plant has the lip with normal colouring for Bee, and the pattern on the lip is also normal.

Bee orchid can be very variable in the shape of the lower lip, and this looks to be one at the extreme end of its variation, or possibly a Bee/wasp hybrid, which often occur at sites where Wasp does.

It may be even that over years, the hybrids take over and get more normal as time goes on. At the site where I saw Wasp this year, they have reduced in numbers over the last three years, and are now down to one plant. Nearby, the hybrids, some of which look like your plant, surround the Wasp, and are themselves surrounded by large numbers of Bee.

Hope this helps

Sean Cole, Staffs

Hi Kevin, I am inclined to agree with Sean on this, some years we have lots of wasp on the Purbeck coast. Here are a couple of pics, unfortuneatly the scanner and optimisation take a toll on the colour!

Last edited:
Lorne said:
Hi Kevin, I am inclined to agree with Sean on this, some years we have lots of wasp on the Purbeck coast. Here are a couple of pics, unfortuneatly the scanner and optimisation take a toll on the colour!

Thanks Sean and Lorne for your comments. I must confess I had my doubts at the time, especially as the plant was going over by then.

Kevin

Not Wasp!!

birder said:
Thanks Sean and Lorne for your comments. I must confess I had my doubts at the time, especially as the plant was going over by then.

Kevin

Dear Birder

Absolutely nothing to do with "wasp orchid" which is a regularly occuring mutation of Ophrys apifera (Bee Orchid). Your photos are either - as you suggest finally - end-of-the-flowering-season mess, or, possibly, an aberrant variety.......... var. troilli is very distinct, and always the same, and yours ain't. I'm afraid.

Best

David

I worked for an organisation that had several plants of Ophrys apifera var. trollii on a nature reserve it managed, and I'd underline the previous post - the form is constant and looks quite different to the bee orchid you photographed. Could it be the standard apifera either gone over or infected with a virus?

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back