• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hellooooo ! (1 Viewer)

Andy Thatcher

Well I have been searching for an interesting forum for birding and it looks as though this should be the place :t:

So Hi there good people !

Hi Andy,

Welcome aboard...

Just an enthusiastic amateur myself, so I'm hoping to pick up lots of tips from Forum Members.

Have fun, and, if you'd be so kind, check out a few of my posts.

Hi Andy and welcome to Bird Forum! We have some very knowledgable members and I have learned a great deal from this Forum. What's more, it's a lot of fun. Bird Forum rocks!

Best Regards,
Marysan

Oh no I won't claim to be an expert but I have ringed a few, seen a few and travelled a bit here and there mainly in Europe but a bit of Africa as well.

Hello Andy,

Welcome to Birdforum :t:

It sounds despite your modesty as if you have a good deal of experience to offer the other members. If you have any queries about the site, just post a question or contact a moderator and someone will try to help out. Everyone is pretty friendly on here and we all share a common interest in birds.

I hope you find plenty on the site to keep your interest.

I have the pleasure :'D of moderating on a forum so know the fun you guy's have !

Thanks for the kind welcome; much appreciated.

Hi Andy

Nice to have you with us. Which bit of Beds are you in? I'm in central London most of the time, so we're not too far apart.

And where have you travelled in Europe and Africa?

At present the Peoples Republic of Luton but by the end of February I should have moved to a village called Sharnbrook just north of Bedford. Good as there are quite a few gravel pits in the area and it gives me a chance to do more of my other passion that'd be fishing, bad as I work in Sunbury on Thames !

Whoops forgot to answer the other bit.

Have spent a fair amount of time living in Germany and done the usual birding trips to Spain, Greece, Egypt, Austria, Italy, France, Switzerland mainly.

Yes I am still awaiting to see a Wallcreeper !

Andy

When you say 'the usual birding trips' do you mean guided tours or what?

No; I usually go it alone, well does the girlfriend count ? There is so much information available on the Net, in books and that nice Steve Whitehouse that I can generally find what I want to. Nothing against guided trips it is just I get a certain kick about winging it and goign where I fancy when I fancy rather than a rota.

It also helps that my father is a bit of a fundamentalist where birding is concerned as he picks up information as well.

Your girlfriend certainly does count if she's a birder but not yet in the BF. You're a disgrace, man - get her registered!

Peter

ps forgive my ignorance, but who is Steve Whitehouse?

Steve is a rather nice chap that makes his living, or part of it, by selling reports of birding trips. He has most of the world covered as far as I can tell !

As regards she whom she be obeyed not strictly a birder as she works for a certain bird protection Society 3:) Have to say she is fantastic at spotting Little Bitterns though so she ain't all bad.

Drop me a line when you fancy a trip to Tring to see those bitterns. They should be about for the next month or so before moving off.

Need to get permission but should be OK if I bring her along. I'll drop you a PM later or tomorrow to confirm. I can make most weekdays for the next couple of weeks if it'd be easier.

Welcome Andy and I am so looking forward to your notes on the places you and the lady in your life wander too... good to see you have found this marvellous place.. you will not be disappointed that is definite!

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back