• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

An uncertain future for Olympus e-System, 4/3s and lenses (1 Viewer)

trealawboy

I thought fellow BFers would be interested in this feature relating to the future of the Olympus 4/3 system and lenses.

It seems we will not have any new lenses or bodies anytime soon, and the long-term future of the system appears unclear.

I use an e501 body with 70-300mm zoom for insects with pleasing results. I'd hoped that the 100mm macro (long in the Oly lens roadmap) and maybe an affordable long-range zoom would come.

I have heard a lot of different rumours about the future of Olympus 4/3 recently. The linked statement which you have posted seems reasonably reassuring. They obviously hope their users will either opt for the professional level E-5 or the consumer grade Pen series. However, they haven't ruled out further 4/3 lenses or bodies in the future, albeit they will probably be mirrorless designs with EVFs. We have a reassurance that they will continue to produce 4/3 lenses for a few more years but I don't think there is any prospect of any new longer lenses.

I have no intention of swapping to another system as long as they continue to support my existing equipment. In fact, with incredible mis-timing, I am awaiting delivery of a new 50-200 SWD lens tomorrow. Is that faith or foolishness?

Ron

Hi Cristian. My 50-200 SWD arrived on Friday. I had been tempted to get one for months but an extra £40 reduction on the already competitive price at Argos made it irresistible at £760. That is £90 cheaper than the next cheapest price and around £150-250 cheaper than most other retailers.

First impressions are positive. It seems beautifully made and the zoom action is smooth. I hope it stays that way! It seems lighter and smaller than I remember, although it is definitely a bit of a beast compared to the 70-300. It is quite nicely balanced on the E-30 which helps. I was very impressed by the accompanying case - I don't think the 70-300 has one at all.

Unfortunately, I have been suffering from flu for more than a week, so I haven't been able to test it as much as I would have liked. However, on Saturday I took some shots in the back garden with the EC-14 attached. First impressions are that the focusing is definitely much snappier than the 70-300 and there is no motor whine to speak of. I am especially pleased about that as I find it embarrassing to be photographing in a hide with the lens whining away every time I miss the bird.

I am sure in-flight shots will be much easier now, as it seemed to latch onto the bird instantly. The light was not good but I even managed to get a shot of sorts of a Starling in flight, something that I wouldn't even have attempted before.

I will give you further impressions, when I am feeling a little more human and have had a chance to try it out under better conditions. In the meantime here are a couple of garden shots.

The exif data for the Dove is: 1/200 sec, f/4.7, ISO 400, 194 mm, hand held.
The Nerine flower is: 1/400 sec, f/4.7, ISO 400, 184 mm, hand held.

Ron

Attachments

• Collared-dove-3.jpg
    Collared-dove-3.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 144
  • Nerines-small.jpg
    Nerines-small.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
Thanks Cristian. I hope I can do better with a bit of experience.

As this is a little off topic for this thread I will start a new one for further comments on the 50-200 SWD.

Ron

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back