• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fuji 4700z as a digiscoping camera? (1 Viewer)

Quacker

Have ordered my first scope - after much consideration (Nikon ED 78) I have no real intentions of digiscoping just yet, however that may well change.

I have a few digital cameras lying around, 2 Kodaks which will be useful toys for the kids etc. but a Fuji 4700z (3x optical zoom) this camera has a small lens, so i was hoping it may be used because of this and the small zoom for scoping. Has anyone any idea if this will work or be of any use. It's almost time to be upgrading to a new camera anyway, and i have first refusal on a Coolpix from a work colleague who's husband has got bored.

Having said all that, it would be nice to see if I could get away without having to buy another camera.

Any comments welcome.

Hi Quaker, i think it's a case of wait and see as to whether your fuji will be o.k. for digiscoping... i'm sure it will take some sort of digiscoped image. Don't write off the Kodaks, some of these are quite good for digiscoping.
regards,
Andy

I used a FinePix 4700zoom with a Kowa TSN823 for a couple of years and it produced some satisfactory results.

There are some restrictions for digiscoping with this camera - the main issue being the external zoom lens. This lens fully extends when the camera is switched on, so it cannot be left on the scope like a coolpix when powered down. I used to hand hold the camera to the scope, rather than use an adaptor. (this however may be the reason why the zoom lens eventually broke!)

Functionality is basic compared to the coolpix too - but is fine if all you are interested in is record shots.

Power consumption - I found that the FinePix was battery hungry - draining my re-chargables quickley (I carried 8 spares with me).

I purchased a Nikon CoolPix 4500 in September 2003 - much more satisfactory if you want more control over camera settings, and use an eagleeye adaptor. It is also more efficient in energy consumption, so I worry less about batteries running out when in the field. I find that the auto-focus is more reliable on the CoolPix too.

John

Last edited:
John Malloy said:
I used a FinePix 4700zoom with a Kowa TSN823 for a couple of years and it produced some satisfactory results.

There are some restrictions for digiscoping with this camera - the main issue being the external zoom lens. This lens fully extends when the camera is switched on, so it cannot be left on the scope like a coolpix when powered down. I used to hand hold the camera to the scope, rather than use an adaptor. (this however may be the reason why the zoom lens eventually broke!)

Functionality is basic compared to the coolpix too - but is fine if all you are interested in is record shots.

Power consumption - I found that the FinePix was battery hungry - draining my re-chargables quickley (I carried 8 spares with me).

I purchased a Nikon CoolPix 4500 in September 2003 - much more satisfactory if you want more control over camera settings, and use an eagleeye adaptor. It is also more efficient in energy consumption, so I worry less about batteries running out when in the field. I find that the auto-focus is more reliable on the CoolPix too.

John

Thanks John, you too Andy, I guess it's a case of at least try it. Well I will of course try it hand held, before the inevitable purchase of a 4500. At present digiscoping is a secondary priority to just general birding with the scope, but never say never eh?

I hear you on the batteries John! - Blimey I thought it was me. Don't even think of leaving the LCD on - -glad it only takes 2 niMh's at a time as it kinda justifies my carrying 12!

One quick question, and forgive me if this sounds naive (sp?) - I know you said it may have eventually damaged the zoom by holding it agains the scope eyepiece, but will it not damage the scope's eyepiece as that is my fear - suffice to say by camera is currently worth less than the Nikon zoom;-)

regards

Steve

Hi Steve

Er, yes, probably would damage the eyepiece if you're not too careful! Another reason why an adaptor is a good idea!

John

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back