• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lumix FZ-100 (1 Viewer)

firstreesjohn

Has anyone bought this recently and been impressed by its bird image abilities ?

I have an FZ-38, have read both negative and positive posts and do not wish to change, if it's 'worse'.

Thanks.

From the examples I have seen posted by very experienced birders in Singapore using both models, the FZ100 doesn't have the image quality of the earlier model. The main advantages of the FZ100 are the high burst rate.

Has anyone bought this recently and been impressed by its bird image abilities ?

I have an FZ-38, have read both negative and positive posts and do not wish to change, if it's 'worse'.

I took delivery of an FZ100 a little over a week ago. I haven't been able to give it much of a work out, yet. Did manage to catch a small bird hunkered up in the grass under the feeder though. Not sure of ID.
<http://www.pbase.com/pelaughlin/image/130138384>
Just an example. Slightly cropped, a little bit of curves and high pass sharpening in Photoshop.
I have not used the FZ38, but did have the FZ20 in the past. I like the FZ100 quite a bit better. I have a couple of teleconverters that can be used on it also. Also a red dot sight on an "extend-a-sight" from Photosolve that I can use on it. I usually have the camera on a tripod aimed out the dining room window at either the bird bath or the feeder. I have the AC adapter and the DC coupler gadget on order. Hope they come in soon. I like to keep the camera on the AC adapter so that I can keep it on all the time and most of the time I use Manual focus with the One Time Auto Focus to set the focus and lock it. Also use a portable DVD player for a remote viewer and a remote shutter release. This keeps me from spooking the birds away. I will say that this camera is a major improvement over the Fuji S200 EXR that it is replacing.
Paul

Thanks.

I have had my FZ100 for about 10 weeks now and have shot quite a few birds with it. I also have an FZ18 and have to say that I think the image quality on the FZ18 is better. From what I've seen on the web the FZ35/38 has better image quality as well. The one place where the FZ100 shines over the past FZ series is in the much higher burst rates. I can get images with this camera that would have been difficult to get with the 3 frames/sec on the FZ18. See the two images attached. The gull was taken at 11 frames/sec and the swallows were taken at 40 frames/sec. Having said that, if I already had the FZ35/38 I probably wouldn't change over.

Attachments

• gull.jpg
    gull.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 463
  • swallows.jpg
    swallows.jpg
    284.6 KB · Views: 498
From TZ5 to FZ100

Thanks.

Have recently bought FZ100 and first attempts with birds have been good but I cannot compare it with FZ38. At full zoom you need a steady hand unless using a tripod. Would like to know if anyone has used the telephoto conversion lens as I have seen some photos on websites and they look very good. I worry about extra weight etc. Like my FZ100 but need more time to offer expert advice.

I've decided to keep my FZ 38 rather than upgrading. I think the key to using bridge cameras is to use them within their limitations and that for me means not even bothering with birds on flight (with the exceptions of hovering kestrels/terns or soaring raptors occasionally) for which the increased burst mode of the FZ100 would be useful.

I bought the FZ 100 recently, I shoot landscapes, wildlife, birds, insects, macro, etc. This past week uploaded 3 pics of RB gulls, and a fox shot to gallery - screech avatar

I shoot 95% of my shots from SUV and are more than satisfied with recent results; knowing that the quality will never stand up to Canon, Nikon standards I still think it was a great buy. Found a Olympus T-17 New condition from Amazon for $69.00 was a steal, waiting for DMW-LA5 to test this addition.

The RB Gull was my second Burst mode shot at 11 frames and quite pleased with results,slightly cropped, sharpen was extent of PhotoShop.

For $355.00 I'm a happy camper :t:

Bob Eliassen - screech

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back