• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Brownsea Island, access in November? (1 Viewer)

gindog

United Kingdom
It seems from the NT website that only booked groups can get onto Brownsea Island after November 1st.

Is this correct, or does anyone know if "non group" people can get access, and if so, how?

I will be visiting the area on Sunday 7th November.

regards

obm

Id quite like to know the answer to this as well. As can be seen though, not much info forthcoming.
I think your best bet might be to try and contact someone at Dorset Bird club or Dorset Wildlife trusts.

Settled for a day at Arne, and what a great day. I am told by local birders that the NT close it from November. The only access is being organized by the local RSPB group and a boat operator in Poole as a joint venture. There is a possible ride there with a landing time of 90 minutes hopefully, weather depending. The only thing is you have to pre-book and if the trip is cancelled for any reason there is no refund. Seems a bit of a one sided deal to me and at £15 a head, a bit costly for the 90 people that may book. I don't know what the weather or the sea is like in December around Brownsea?

Unsure whether to chance it?

That said Arne was a good days birding with 1 x Marsh and 1 x Hen harrier seen over the water near to fields and marshy land. Their resident Tawny owl was a nice sight. Plenty of Egrets and waders seen from the hide at the south west corner.

obm

That is a one sided deal! I've been on that trip myself but didnt realise I might have lost my payment! Being in the harbour and with the harbour being pretty shallow I suppose the risks are fairly low for cancellations.

Where does the Resident Tawny hang around at Arne if you dont mind me asking? I saw the barn Owl there once or twice but never a tawny

Thanks

That is a one sided deal! I've been on that trip myself but didnt realise I might have lost my payment! Being in the harbour and with the harbour being pretty shallow I suppose the risks are fairly low for cancellations.

Where does the Resident Tawny hang around at Arne if you dont mind me asking? I saw the barn Owl there once or twice but never a tawny

Thanks

If you ask at the visitor centre they will be pleased to show you.

Pete

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back