• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New policy at Rancho Naturalista (1 Viewer)

njlarsen

Gallery Moderator
Opus Editor
Supporter
Barbados
This is from an Email from Costa Rica Gateway:

Rancho Naturalista has changed their policy in regards to the GUIDING...It will NOT be included in the price but they have adjusted the rates in order to accommodate this. We can guarantee you will have a guide but we cannot guarantee that it will just be for the 2 of you - therefore we (CRG) do not want to collect any guide fees up front for guiding while at Rancho Naturalista. Here are the prices for guiding while there - this is total - not per person…

Guiding Fees for Rancho Naturalista:
Daily fee: $90
Just the morning: $50
Just the afternoon: $40
Just the evening: $20

Niels

I'll be interested to see how Rancho has "adjusted" for these prices.

Still, I'm not sure the guides have gotten their just dues in the old system with the tipping because of the current price stream of "all-inclusive". This particular set-up is probably better for the guides.... but I just have my doubts about whether the cost of Rancho is scaled back to appropriately reflect that.

I should have included that information: US$145.00 per person (high season).

The setup now is very similar to what the Asa Wright lodge in Trinidad has, and somewhat cheaper ... (even though Asa Wright includes the afternoon tea and a rumpunch in the price)

Niels

I should have included that information: US$145.00 per person (high season).

The setup now is very similar to what the Asa Wright lodge in Trinidad has, and somewhat cheaper ... (even though Asa Wright includes the afternoon tea and a rumpunch in the price)

Niels

Married couples always seem to take a bath on pricing when they charge by the person rather than the room.

I hope the guides get a decent cut of the guide pricing.

If you are paying from the UK they want a banker's draft or money wired out to them, both a hassle and expensive. Is there a good alternative that anyone could recommend?
Des

OK thanks, Niels. It seems they want paying in advance though. They don't even have a paypal account, which seems odd. I will try the post office.

I hope the guides get a decent cut of the guide pricing.

I used a guide one day at Rancho and asked if I needed to pay him directly or pay Rancho. He said it didn't matter as if I paid Rancho they would just pass on the money to him; I therefore gave him the money directly, and no-one protested that.

Niels

I used a guide one day at Rancho and asked if I needed to pay him directly or pay Rancho. He said it didn't matter as if I paid Rancho they would just pass on the money to him; I therefore gave him the money directly, and no-one protested that.

Niels

Who did you have? Herman?

Yes. We had a quite good day with scythebill and red-fronted parrotlet as a couple of highlights.

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back