• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Griffon Vulture Status (1 Viewer)

Barred Wobbler

What is the position with Griffon vultures in Portugal?

I was at Cabo de Sao Vicente last Thursday and at lunchtime I was about halfway along the track to Vila do Bispo when I got my eye on a massive group of large birds a couple of miles or so to the north, rising on a thermal. What were they? Black Kites? - No, surely they should be away by now. I got the scope out and I was amazed to see they were griffon vultures so I banged off a few shots with my 400mm. I guessed that there must be about 300, but I've just counted 308 in the original of the shot below which shows part of the flock, so I think that a truer figure would be "up to 400".

I had a drive around the Bispo area just afterwards, but there was not a sign of a vulture and I didn't see where they got to when they rose. There is a large wooded valley north-west of Bispo, running down to the coast. Could this have been a communal roost from there rising on a mid-day thermal?

BWPi shows a breeding population for Portugal of about 270 pairs in 1999, so they aren't particularly numerous.

What was this flock of about 400 birds doing all in one place on the coast?

Attachments

• IMG_8847 copy.jpg
    IMG_8847 copy.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 129
The occurrence is common, the numbers of griffons in Portugal have increased in the last decade and area now higher than the numbers in 1999, also some of the birds in Sagres are Spanish.

Thanks Pedro. I've done a bit of research on them since I posted this and I find that the Sagres vultures often number 600 at this time of year. I'd not heard of this before.

It's an impressive sight.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back