• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How many pixels do you ned for an ID? (1 Viewer)

jebir

Yoda Eagle
How many pixels do you need for an ID?

OK, I'll try this on you guys:

I have bird picture, 512x400 pixels in size, and I will post it at reduced resolution and see if you can ID the bird on the pic. I'll start with the "impossible 4x3" pixels, then update it with 8x6 pixels, then 16x12, and so on until someone can ID the bird.

Let's see who needs the fewest pixels!

NOTE ADDED LATER: A correct ID yields the full picture at once otherwise I'll update to higher pixel counts after 5 erroneous attempts - if I'm logged in.

Good Luck, Jens.

ANDY got the YELLOWHAMMER at 32x24 pixels!!! Very well done! Congratulations!!!

---- 4x3 pixels ----- 8x6 pixels ----- 16x12 ----- 32x24 pixels ----- 512x384 pixels

Attachments

• Quiz4.jpg
    Quiz4.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 160
  • Quiz8.jpg
    Quiz8.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 167
  • Quiz16.jpg
    Quiz16.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 166
  • Quiz32.jpg
    Quiz32.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 169
  • Quiz512.jpg
    Quiz512.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 168
Last edited:
must be a wood warbler, or a chiffchaff. (using the 48 pixel image)

reasoning: The dark green of the picture suggests a bperching bird in a coniferous tree in the shade. making the appropriate adjustments for amount of shade, I hereby conclude either of my choices.

Last edited:
Larry, showing full-blown pictures isn't automatic when someone gets it right. So keep yer fingers crossed as mine are, and hopefully Jebir will get back to us!

Merlin?
Ofcourse if that pink are it's legs, then that green would not be where it sits on, but something that partially hides it, and that would be even more nasty ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back