• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Digital Binoculars (1 Viewer)

shykra

Professional Beginner
I have been birding for more than 25 years and, like everyone else, had those quick moments when a bird just wouldn't stay put to get an ID in the field and wished they had a camera built in their binoculars to take a photo to study later.

Is there such thing as a good Digital Binocular?

I'm sorry shykra, but I don't think there is. But, soon perhaps. Digital bins are avaliable, but they aren't very good yet. A couple weeks ago, I birded with a young gent that used only a digital camera, he was very good. He said that his camera was equivilant to a 8X bin...but with a much smaller angle of view.
He had adapted to the more narrow of field of view...and had pics to prove it.

Electronics will eventually catch up with us older folk, but, at the moment, few have.

Steve-O

HI Shykra, i have seen a pair advertised over here in the UK and a review suggested that the camera part could only focus down to 15 meters.

However i think this may improve with time if there is a demand for Digibins.

Regards Cuddy.

I think there will be a demand quite soon.

Me missus was looking at a reed warbler through her "bins" and said "I wish i could have taken a picture of that" knowing that by the time she put the bins down , sorted out the camara the darling little bird will have gone.

Take note please optics manufacturers

stevie babe

I agree that they aren't quite there yet. From the ones I have seen, whilst the binocular section themselves focus quite close to just a few feet, the digicam section uses a separate lens which is fixed focus. As mentioned above, the fixed focus is a minimum of around 15m which makes for very small reproduction especially on at most a 2.1 mp sensor.

Now if the camera was connected through the bincoulars optics................!

Now if the camera was connected through the bincoulars optics................![/QUOTE]

Oh wish! But better still, imagine having a button you could press and being able to replay the last 30 seconds or so in the bins exactly like you had just seen it, then going home and downloading it to your PC and grabbing the best frames, bliss.

Mick

Kowa has recently brought out a quite expensive telescope incorporating a digital still camera but I should wait until the other manufacturers develop this idea further as they surely will do now one has jumped on the bandwagon.

Once it is moving well enough itsis a bandwagon I'd like to junmp on.
I'd love a scope with a camera without all the hassle of digiscoping or camera lenses.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back