• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Forest '04 (1 Viewer)

RockyRacoon

Had A Lovely camping trip to the New Forest this weekend! Here is a bit from the wildlife diary I have at home! Coincidently thejamman went too! He's got a better report than mine, with amazing ticks: Honey. Buzzard and Black Redstart! Wait for his report...

I got five lifers: Buzzard, Tree Pipit, Goldcrest, Wood warbler and Willow tit!

Driving to New Forest

A few Mute Swans
A Buzzard over the road with a prey item in its talons
A Collared Dove on a telephone wire by a round about
Over the round about where the Collared Dove was there was a Kestrel

The open fields with horses in

Large numbers of Lapwing, of all ages
Large numbers of Jackdaw
Mistle thrushes
A Pied Wagtail near a small pool

The Mixed Deciduous woodland

Blackcap
European Jay
Song thrush families

Night walk through a mixed deciduous woodland with some glades

Fallow deer
Un-identified bats

Our Bikeride

A pair of Bullfinches flew across the busy road
In the garden at the start there were Goldcrests in a conifer tree, I think a family
In the Garden there was also a pied wagtail on the lawn
On fields, with livestock nearby, Pied wagtails were common
Mute Swan with large number of growing cygnets, in a large pond by a heathland
There was a Greenfinch on a telephone wire by the road
Common Buzzard pair flying high above the road

Mixed coniferous and deciduous woodland

This was my main area of watching wildlife, and was particularly attractive to Robins and Blue tits, often with families. Among the high numbers of these birds were Great tits, Long-tailed tits, European Jays, Great-spotted woodpeckers, European Goldcrests and European Chaffinches, all too common. Jays liked the coniferous areas, as did Goldcrests, but Goldcrests often liked both. Great-spotted woodpeckers liked a patch that was mainly conifers, but had some deciduous trees. European Chaffinches were very common amongst the top of conifers, but were, too, common elsewhere. Robins preferred the deciduous woodland, and were often on the paths, and Blue tits liked the trees near the path, mainly the deciduous trees, but also fairly common in the conifers. Great tits were as Blue tits in preferred trees.
There were some open areas, near conifers and with patchy deciduous woodland, which the undergrowth was all ferns. Tree Pipits loved it here, and I saw two fly to a perch in display here and mate. I also saw a Tree pipit fly and stay long in a coniferous woodland, it was calling and bobbing up and down, it often kept to perches long, and once caught an insect in mid air. It didn’t catch a fly like a spotted flycatcher would though. The coniferous wood was about 100 metres away from the open area.
In an area with conifers near the entrance of the woods, where there were some deciduous trees, I got very good views of a Wood warbler, which was singing, keeping to the conifer side. I heard it two days in a row, and saw a different one, which looked like it was in a group of Wood warblers (family?). In an area of deciduous woodland, there was a family of Willow tits, which were calling as they went through the woods. I also saw a Red fox walk along the path of the woodland, it paused, stared at me before walking into cover.

Our campsite

At our campsite tame Chaffinches, Robins and Jackdaws, as well as Blackbirds, and occasionally Great tits. Chaffinches often had young. One Robin perched on our tent when it was half being but down, it then flew down and hopped through another tent and came out the other side! Grey Squirrels were also very common here, one took a cereal bar, which was still in its packet, out of someone’s open suitcase!

An area with lots of gorse

Lots of Rabbits
A Greenfinch
A Woodpigeon flew out of a nearby woodland back to the woodland

Driving back to Brighton

Buzzard over the road
A Pied wagtail on grass near a motorway
Noted a Woodpigeon
Noted a Herring gull
Mute swans on the water

It is good to see you enjoyed it with passion. I drove through the New Forest on the way back from the Isle of Wight recently and it is a beautiful place.

Andrew said:
It is good to see you enjoyed it with passion. I drove through the New Forest on the way back from the Isle of Wight recently and it is a beautiful place.

So do we get a trip report from the isle of wight?

Hope you had a great time

Hey Jake, nice report.

I absolutely adore the new forest, I saw my first tawny owl there on one of countless camping trips with my parents many years ago and I still remember it well.

I think those camping trips really contributed to my appreciation of nature generally and birds especially.

Woody

DavidP said:
So do we get a trip report from the isle of wight?

Hope you had a great time
I had a nice time but it was not electric for birds so I diverted my attention to the bigger picture and enjoyed the Butterflies, Dragonflies and some Moths.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back