• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wild Orchids (1 Viewer)

jeff

Can anyone recommend and good wild orchid books for the UK, i though i heard about one which listed sites for each orchid/time of year to visit etc.

TIA

Jeff

Hi Jeff, For an introduction to orchids check out my website; http://www.dorsetorchid.co.uk/ its old now and I'm halfway through rewriteing it at the moment. For books you could try Google "Orchids+DM Turner Ettlinger".
I dont think you will find any site info on rare orchids being published but your local Wildlife Trust website should give sites in your area. Enjoy your hunting but dont forget that you can get "hooked" on this!
Regards Lorne.

Lorne said:
Hi Jeff, For an introduction to orchids check out my website; http://www.dorsetorchid.co.uk/ its old now and I'm halfway through rewriteing it at the moment. For books you could try Google "Orchids+DM Turner Ettlinger".
I dont think you will find any site info on rare orchids being published but your local Wildlife Trust website should give sites in your area. Enjoy your hunting but dont forget that you can get "hooked" on this!
Regards Lorne.

Lorne,

Thanks, i'll have a look and do a search to see what it throws up.

Cheers

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

I think the book you are looking for is puiblished by Wild Guides,

It's quite a recent publication and I think they may havea website

If thisline of enquiry is successful I would like to know how it pans out - so to speak.

Stevie babe

Stevie babe said:
Hi Jeff,

I think the book you are looking for is puiblished by Wild Guides,

It's quite a recent publication and I think they may havea website

If thisline of enquiry is successful I would like to know how it pans out - so to speak.

Stevie babe

Stevie babe,

Thanks for the info, i've looked it up. Here are the details: (anyone have any views on it? Already got a copy and want to share your views?)

Britain's Orchids
By David Lang
ISBN 1-903657-06-7
156 pages, 54 colour plates

RRP £15.00

PUBLISHED IN PARTNERSHIP WITH ENGLISH NATURE
SUPPORTED CHARITY: The Wildlife Trusts

On schedule for publication: 15 June 2004

To register your interest in a copy of this book, please contact: [email protected]

Britain's Orchids

• This stunning photographic guide will cover the identification and ecology of all 51 species of wild orchid native to Britain and Ireland, and a further nine species of uncertain provenance.

• Its easy-to-use format is designed to enable people to take it into the field and to identify these species whether they are a beginner or an expert.

• The text covers orchid habitats, germination and growth, reproduction and pollination, hybridisation, conservation in action, and observing and photographing orchids.

• Over 60 orchid profiles include information on key features to aid identification, their flowering and germination times and indicates differences with similar species and sub-species.

• Colour distribution maps show where they have been seen in the last 25 years while the accompanying text makes clear the current position.

I have signed up and paid for it as soon as I saw your post, but as I have not received the confirmation e-mail I might have guessed there was a publication problem!
I suspose it will arrive as the final "Autumn Ladies Tresses" dissapear.

Lorne said:
I have signed up and paid for it as soon as I saw your post, but as I have not received the confirmation e-mail I might have guessed there was a publication problem!
I suspose it will arrive as the final "Autumn Ladies Tresses" dissapear.

This was part of the email i was sent from wildguides:

"My understanding is that our distributors will send a paper slip out to you
confirming that the publication will be delivered when it is available.

Publication date is 1st August so you should receive something soon after."

I have a site guide, written by myself which tells you where to find all the British orchid species.
All the species are in and I have found that the sensitive sites such as Ladies Slipper and Red Helleborine are all well-guarded anyway, but can be seen from viewpoints etc.

The Orchids of Europe by Pierre Delforge is an excellent photographic guide to take on holiday. I found it very helpful in Crete and other areas.

Jeff, if you still need the information and want a good book to fulfil all your requirements, wait for Simon & Annie Harrop's book to come out next spring. It will cover the identification of all species and give sites for all but two (plus Ghost Orchid, which you will not be able to see anyway). It promises to be comprehensive and complete, unlike the Lang book, which although up to date and with some gravitas, is more of a species account book.

Simon and Annie are very thorough, and like you and me started out as birders, so their interest in the plants will be very similar to ours.

The book will be published next spring - hopefully just in time for the first Orchid of the year, Early Spider.

Hope this helps. If you need any more information, feel free to contact me off group.

All the best

Sean Cole, Staffs

Ghostly Vision said:
Jeff, if you still need the information and want a good book to fulfil all your requirements, wait for Simon & Annie Harrop's book to come out next spring. It will cover the identification of all species and give sites for all but two (plus Ghost Orchid, which you will not be able to see anyway). It promises to be comprehensive and complete, unlike the Lang book, which although up to date and with some gravitas, is more of a species account book.

Simon and Annie are very thorough, and like you and me started out as birders, so their interest in the plants will be very similar to ours.

The book will be published next spring - hopefully just in time for the first Orchid of the year, Early Spider.

Hope this helps. If you need any more information, feel free to contact me off group.

All the best

Sean Cole, Staffs

Sean,

Thanks i'll make a note of it.

Cheers

Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back