• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Guide Books (1 Viewer)

Log cabin

Would anyone recommend one of these books over the other?
Finding Birds; Greater TX Coastal Bird Trail by Eubanks 2008
ABA Birders Guide to TX Coast by Cooksey 2006

We will be on the coast of TX only.
Will the Sibley's Eastern book be sufficient or do we need a TX bird book?
Which would you recommend?

Thank you.

Finding Birds and Guide to TX Coast are both good. The more south and west you go from Houston, the more inadequate your Eastern book will be. I'd bring the big Sibley's.

Most of us in the lower coast get by with Sibley's Eastern but if you go West, say as far as Laredo, you may sometimes need the Western.

I used both Sibley's and the ABA guide and I would highly recommend them both.
The ABA guide helped us find so many birds, and the maps of the wildlife refuges or parks we visited saved us when we didn't want to go to the visitors center or when we arrived too early for it to be open. Also, the little tips that were given helped us find many birds!

The book by Eubanks isn't a bird guide, but is a source for birding hotspots. It is an excellent resource. I don't know what month you are planning to hit the coast, but if it iis during migration, I agree the big Sibley's or Kaufmann's or whatever your choice may be, would be better than an eastern only guide. Lots of birds hit the Texas coast that end up on both coasts.

Log Cabin - In preparing for a trip west of San Antonio, we found everything we need in the Western Sibleys except for the Golden-cheeked Warbler. I guess one has to draw the line somewhere and Texas straddles that line.
We found the ABA guide to the Rio Grande Valley to be indispensable; I would expect the coastal guide to be of the same caliber.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back