• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

15x50 Fuzzy Image...Improved (1 Viewer)

Super Dave

I think I have figured how to reduce the frequency of my 15x50's blurring out on me. They seem to do much better when I lay them to rest on their belly when not in use compared to resting them standing up on their objectives. I was resting them standing up on their objective lens to keep the dust from building up. Since I stopped doing this the blurry images have reduced significantly.

Anyway, I have been in touch with Canon's technical support about the image blurring. They said that they do not recommend long term storing of them standing up on their objectives. I don't think that's in the manual.

Take care,
Dave

Thanks Dave for advice. I think this makes sense because the variangle prisms of the Canon are built as bellows perpendicular to the light path. When standing up on their objectives for longer periods of time gravity could expand the variangle prisms which could possibly be seen as some blurring.

Steve

Intersting Steve. The technical stuff is beyond my understanding. But, the result of less blurring is a huge improvement. I was thinking about getting rid of the Canons and replacing them with some Fujinons. Now that the image has improved I might spring for some accessories!
Dave

Thanks Dave and Steve, this is good info to have. I´ve been storing mine sideways! (On their side in a camcorder bag).

Hi Steve,

Would not the same 'blurring' appear if the vari angle prisms are vertical and on their 'edges' when storing the binoculars on their sides ?

I find the best way to retain focus is to focus on the subject before engaging the IS. If you try to focus once the IS is engaged, you are constantly fighting with the apparent out of focus images when the IS system is operating. There was a reference to this on another thread somewhere.

Doug........

Hi Steve,

So what difference do you think there is in storing these bins vertically or horizontally ? If storing vertically distorts the vari prisms then would not the same thing happen when being stored horizontally. The vari prisms involve using an 'optical fluid' of some type so presumably it would settle either way if that was the case. I doubt very much that these prisms distort when stored either way. There must be some intergrity to their construction in order to stand up to the constant moving of the two glass surfaces and bellows that contain the fluid. In the manual, it warns that small air bubbles can appear in these prisms if taken to high altitudes !!

Doug....

Last edited:
It´s indicative of one of the major weaknesses of Canon IS binos, though. They´re "technical", and complicated. I had pretty lousy experiences with a pair of 12x36 that got knocked out of collimation, sent back 3 times for repair and although the collimation was repaired, the IS-system (which hadn´t been damaged), was replaced and never worked properly again. It just makes me a little suspicious - perhaps we need our binos to be "bomb-proof", or at least serviceable. I don´t like having to "baby" bins.

Sancho:
Do you still have the Swarovisions ? You must have patience to deal with this
problem, you have described. Keep it simple, and just get out there and bird.

Jerry

Sancho:
Do you still have the Swarovisions ? You must have patience to deal with this
problem, you have described. Keep it simple, and just get out there and bird.

Jerry

Thanks Jerry, I do indeed still have the SV´s, which are keepers. And binos are never a real problem - if they´re all one has to worry about, then there´s nothing too wrong with the world. Except, of course, finding the time to get out and bird;)! Have a great weekend!

Mine have been stored standing upright on their objectives in the original case since I have had them ... getting on towards 4 years and they are still as good as when I first got them.

I focus on the subject before engaging the IS, the same as Doug.

The only thing I find is that the IS takes a little longer to settle the first time I use it, after that it is quick and solid.

I have never had any of the problems that I have read others have had. Perhaps I have been lucky.

Deano

I've had my 15x since Apr 03, not a whit of trouble (except the @%$^&*# eyecups, which I finally trimmed level with the plane of the ep). It's stored obj down on a shelf by my upstairs patio door with a Pentax rainguard on the ep's....when taken out, I carry it in the case for the 7x42FL, a perfect snug fit w/the Pentax cover in place and it's liable to wind up in any position, in a pile with other cased optics in van or pickup.

The above comment about getting focus sharp before hitting the IS is absolutely right. But I've found that I rarely need the IS unless I'm looking at something more than about 30* from horizontal, due to the shape of the bino....the easiest hi-power I've ever had to use, and I've had several. The optics complement is so good I'd keep it even if it didn't have the IS.....

Hello folks,

I'm a little late in tuning in on here, but I wanted to see for myself today if my 18x50 IS's showed increased sharpness with IS on, after a night's sleep on their belly.

Indeed did I see a difference in the field today; sharpness with IS engaged is significantly better than before, but also the IS mechanism is more responsive when engaged for the first time. I used to do some "on" and "off" clicking of the button, to allow the system to "warm up", so to speak, but to my surprise this has not been necessary today.

I counteracted the earlier experienced slight blurriness during IS-active observing by tweaking the diopter scale and was never quite satisfied with the result. Today I've found out that the dioptersetting "zero" is actually the best setting, not surprisingly since I wear glasses.
This is a strange fenomenon, but it's there.
As it is not described in the Canon manual, my thoughts are that Canon technicians have only just now discovered this anomaly for themselves.

Storing the bins in a new manner is certainly adviced, but I wonder how the bins are being influenced when they are around the neck on a strap?
The vertical position in which the bins are for several hours in the field, or even longer, may have its influence, too.

I've not yet ordered the SunSniper camerastrap, but it will not be before too long that I will be using this strap. It's very fortunate the bigger Canons at least have a 1/4" screw thread underneath, where the SunSniper screws in and keeps the bins upside-down, resting on the hip.

Maybe other readers might come up with further suggestions.
I'm enjoying using my 18x50's very much.
I'd like to thank the original poster Dave for making this discovery, well done!

Best regards,

Ronald

Maybe other readers might come up with further suggestions.
Ronald

I´m going out for a long walk today, Ronald, but I can´t think of a way to carry my binos horizontally;). I can see why Canon don´t include the horizontal-storage recommendation in their literature - along with the very short warranty, it would hardly be good marketing to tell customers "These binos work better if you store them flat when not in use":eek!:. (And this is speaking as an IS-fan; as if I don´t have enough neuroses already!))

I understand that they work best when you are also horizontal; lying on your stomach with your elbows braced on the ground while using them with the IS in operation.;)

Bob

I´m going out for a long walk today, Ronald, but I can´t think of a way to carry my binos horizontally;). I can see why Canon don´t include the horizontal-storage recommendation in their literature - along with the very short warranty, it would hardly be good marketing to tell customers "These binos work better if you store them flat when not in use":eek!:. (And this is speaking as an IS-fan; as if I don´t have enough neuroses already!))

Good point!

As an IS-fan myself I feel it's like a stab in the back. Still, I won't despair as I've just ordered the SunSniper Steel strap for my 18x50's. This will hold the bins in horizontal position, albeit upside-down, in bandoleer-style mode.

Of course I can invent contraptions to carry the bins horizontally, in theory at least, but I'm reluctant to start another hilarious thread since I came up with the bino-yoke. Remember that one? We all had a good laugh!

Keep on birding,

Best regards,

Ronald

I understand that they work best when you are also horizontal; lying on your stomach with your elbows braced on the ground while using them with the IS in operation.;)

Bob

True, Bob, especially when you're eager to get a tick.
(The eight-legged kind, I mean.)

Best regards,

Ronald

Good point!

As an IS-fan myself I feel it's like a stab in the back. Still, I won't despair as I've just ordered the SunSniper Steel strap for my 18x50's. This will hold the bins in horizontal position, albeit upside-down, in bandoleer-style mode.

Of course I can invent contraptions to carry the bins horizontally, in theory at least, but I'm reluctant to start another hilarious thread since I came up with the bino-yoke. Remember that one? We all had a good laugh!

Keep on birding,

Best regards,

Ronald

How about if you strapped them on top of your head?

What??? |8.|

Why not just buy a pram.

That way you could keep them horizontal, put a blanket on them when its cold. Use the prams plastic cover when its wet. A sprung pram would protect them from vibration and best of all ... space to carry your bird books.

Or you could just use them like most people use theirs.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back