• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Driving in Thailand (1 Viewer)

Steve Arlow

United Kingdom
I will be in Thailand in a couple of weeks time on a trip to see the Spoonies and the Pittas and at the end of this will be heading off to probably Khao Yai.

Is there any special driving requirements for Thailand, such as International Driving Licence/Permit or would a full UK Driving Licence suffice.

Also I would imagine that driving in Thailand, especially to/from the airport, will be a little on the 'sporty' side.

Comments gratefully received

many thanks

Well, I'm only 13 and I've been riding a Motor-bike around town for as-long as I've been here, that about sums it up, unless your sneaking people in from Laos they don't care...

I will be in Thailand in a couple of weeks time on a trip to see the Spoonies and the Pittas and at the end of this will be heading off to probably Khao Yai.

Is there any special driving requirements for Thailand, such as International Driving Licence/Permit or would a full UK Driving Licence suffice.

Also I would imagine that driving in Thailand, especially to/from the airport, will be a little on the 'sporty' side.

Comments gratefully received

many thanks

Hi Steve,

You will want to get an International Driving Licence, easily obtained, just got mine from the post office. Driving, well, it's interesting!
I shall have just driven back to BKK to meet you and Dom, if I'm still white and shaking, you'll know why! :smoke:

Khao Yai's a great place.

Many thanks, Thai driving then is a white nuckle ride

For International Driving Licence application then is directly at the Post Office?

Can't remember the last time I had to get one of these and only got little over a week before the off.

cheers

Never needed an Interational Driving Licence any time I've been there - UK driving licence seems to be accepted all over the world, so personally I wouldn't bother. Driving around BKK is a little hectic but not overly difficult and once onto the main roads, driving's a doddle and a much more plesant experience than here!!

Never needed an Interational Driving Licence any time I've been there - UK driving licence seems to be accepted all over the world, so personally I wouldn't bother. Driving around BKK is a little hectic but not overly difficult and once onto the main roads, driving's a doddle and a much more plesant experience than here!!

Interesting Ads. I've just been asked to produce an IDL and my UK licence at BKK by the hire car company, which is a Thai outfit.

I think for the sake of £4.50 at the PO, its probably worth it, maybe not - Steve, if you do, you need to take a passport photograph, with your licence, both paper bit and photo id and passport....takes 5 mins. Any main Post Office or AA center.

Not a white knuckle ride, but Thai's have an interesting perception of space, and how little might be needed.

Last edited:
I've only hired a motorbike in Thailand (from the police!) and the only documentation required was cash. However, I agree with Rockfowl's advice: getting an IDL is cheap and easy, and will give you peace of mind.

Interesting Ads. I've just been asked to produce an IDL and my UK licence at BKK by the hire car company, which is a Thai outfit.

I think for the sake of £4.50 at the PO, its probably worth it, maybe not - Steve, if you do, you need to take a passport photograph, with your licence, both paper bit and photo id and passport....takes 5 mins. Any main Post Office or AA center.

Not a white knuckle ride, but Thai's have an interesting perception of space, and how little might be needed.

How bizarre - we rented a car for the best part of a month from Petchaburi Car Rentals in BKK and they said that a UK licence was as good as an International....maybe varies from company to company? (Or maybe they felt sorry for us because we thought Petchaburi car rentals was in Petchaburi, and not BKK....gave them a good laugh when we said we'd be a day late as we had to get the bus up in the morning!) But to be honest, I've never had to produce any other licence for any country I've driven in, from India to NZ....

Went to Thailand two years ago and hired through auto-europe. Excellent rates, and they put you with one of the major car-hire companies, Avis in my case. Asked before I left, and was assured that a UK license was all I needed, and it was.

I found driving there really relaxing, just be aware that there are a lot more folk on Scooters etc and drive accordingly. Bit disconcerting to see a number of body outlines chalked on the road in most built up areas though .....

Once you are out of Bangkok its a doddle - apart from Chiang Mai ....

What I would suggest is get yourself a route prepared to take you from the airport to the outskirts of Bangkok - I arrived in the middle of massive road re-building, and went round and round for what seemed hours before I managed to "escape"

Also be aware that you will probably need to put the clutch in before you manage to switch the ignition on - I had never encountered this before. My car was waiting outside the airport terminal, engine running, and I did not turn it off until I got to the Spoon-billed Sandpiper site.

On return, I spent over an hour trying to work out why the F#####g car wouldn't start, before one of the guys building the shrimp pond walls climbed out of the shi#e he was working in, showed me how to start the car, and then returned to work, shaking his head and making me feel/look a more complete idiot than I already was.

Thailand is a wonderful country, with great people, birds and food - Enjoy.

Cheers,

Paul

Just remember to drive defensively in the sense of expecting the unexpected. Don't assume that if you turn right or left, having looked left or right to make sure all is clear, that something won't be coming at you on the wrong side of the road, trying to cut the corner. People sometimes drive against the flow of traffic on the hard shoulder especially to take a short cut at U-turns. ..... We use our horns here to say hello not to admonish! Generally not recommended to get the window down and start gesticulating at other road users! If someone flashes you with their lights they are not giving way but telling you they are coming, not giving way and you better get out the way! Maintenance vehicles and repairs etc are not brilliantly signed so the slow truck in the outside lane that is watering the flowers in the central reservation may be waiting for you without any warning as you hare round a corner. I don't know about licenses. As a resident I have a Thai license. The roads are pretty good quality so driving is an option although it is expensive when compared to the cost of public transport. And the BIBs ...the Boys in Brown, they love cash and most minor matters can be dealt with by a few hundred baht! Don't offer if you get pulled let them suggest and this is a situation where you shouldn't even try to speak Thai, tell them you don't understand can't speak and they might tell you to go. Finally drunk driving is very common so it makes the roads even more dangerous.

Portnoy's comments are spot on.

A few things to add:

*Basically just accept that anything can happen whilst driving here. So expect the unexpected, but the further you get from Bangkok, the easier it gets.

*If you have any accident it will be you fault (whatever the circumstances!), so defensive driving is key.

*Remember that on many dual carriageways or three lane highways the outside ('fast lane") will also be the lane for traffic queing to make U-turns...so you can easily find yourself charging along at 100 kph and suddenly be faced with stationary traffic, or traffic turning into your lane from the other side of the road. **The Road between Bangkok and Khao Yai's southern entrance is especially bad in this respect**

*Watch out for the mopeds and the dogs!

*I have few problems with the police, normally they stop me for speeding but I try to refuse to pay a "fine" unless I'm getting a receipt (they try to insist but often get bored and wave me on).

*Most hire car places will accept a normal UK licence, but they seem pleased if you pull out a IDP - I have heard that the insurance may be invalid without it.

Last edited:
I live here and am an avid birder. I bought a pickup a year ago for the hobby. Very little is needed for license. Just keep 200 baht handy for the local police. If you don't know the rules a license won't help you. Just pay the 200 and drive on.

I have birded all over thailand. am currently north. Have fun and enjoy your birding here. If I can give you any tips let me know.

Link: http://www.flickr.com/photos/avianphotos/

I have now got an International Driving Permit.

I will probably hire a vehicle on arrival in Bangkok when I get back from KNC and head out to Khao Yai for Coral-billed Groun Cuckoo, if I'm lucky, and others or head back to Kok Kham as I know there are at least 2 Spoonies there. Will decide when I'm in Bankgkok

many thanks

For those of you whove done both, how does driving in Thailand compare to driving in Peninsular Malaysia (especially Penang)?

For those of you whove done both, how does driving in Thailand compare to driving in Peninsular Malaysia (especially Penang)?

I have driven in Sabah and between KL and Fraser's Hill. Malaysia is easier by far - people there have some sense of lane discipline and even give way to one another.

I've driven in Thailand on several occasions, with only a UK licence - am off there tomorrow with same - so I hope the rules haven't changed!

The hire car co. asked which licence I had, as usual & no warning about it not being OK were issued.

I think the Thai drivers & roads are fine - better than India & Sri lanka, no worse than Costa Rica, and I've never had any trouble.

Actually much better behind the wheel than sitting in the passenger seat! Made the bad mistake of returning from KK during the period everyone else was returning to BKK it seems. Bangkok rush hour is rather interesting!!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back