• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My Outback 2004 /41 (1 Viewer)

birdman

Орнитол&
Took a walk out yesterday evening with Partnyorsha, primarily in the hope of “getting” owls… with mixed success. I say mixed, because we really hoped to see the Long-eared Owls hunting over the grassy fields, as we were treated to last year… but we came away with “only” a Little Owl sighting and some audible ids of Long-eared and Tawny Owls… and maybe Barn??? Guess we’re too greedy!

Anyway, folks, need your help here.

As I said, definitely saw a single Little Owl, and pretty darn confident that we have correctly ided Long-eareds “screeching” (not banshee screeching) and Tawnies hooting, but we also heard some hissing.

(Edit 04 Jul 04 - after another trip out on Fri 02 Jul and a bit more investigation, the LEO's I have claimed above turned out to be Tawnies. Number below amended.)

Now I’ve got it in my head that Little Owls hiss, but that’s not on my CD… which does give the Barn Owl hiss… any suggestions?

I haven’t claimed Barn Owl yet, not least because it would be a first for my outback, so without ant “previous” I don’t feel confident enough to claim it (well then, as there were two) without a bit of peer assessment!

All assistance would be appreciated.

List otherwise as follows…

Plain text = Outback day tick
Bold text = Outback year tick
(Number in brackets is highest number of individuals identified at one time)

Mallard : 30 (30)
Swift : 6 (6)

Tawny Owl : 3 (2)

Little Owl : 1 (1)

Woodpigeon : 7 (2)
Moorhen : 1 (1)
Coot : 3 (3)
Black-headed Gull : 7 (7)
Blackbird : 2 (1)
Song Thrush : 1 (1)
Robin : 2 (2)
House Martin: 5 (5)
Skylark : 3 (2)
Meadow Pipit : 2 (1)
Yellowhammer : 1 (1)

Last edited:
Hi Jake,

Thanks for your feedback.

Unfortunately, considering you comment, I have had to remove LEOs from my list above, although I can confirm visual id of them in the past.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back