• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leupold Rogue or Zen-Ray Vista? (1 Viewer)

Baklash

After a lot of research for $150 range binos I thought I had narrowed my search down to the 8x42 Leupold Rogue. I fish large inland lakes/reservoirs and will use the binos to spot flocks of diving/feeding gulls, fish feeding on the surface, and identify boats, people, etc over long distances of 100-400 yards. The binos will stay in the center console of my boat and will get bounced around a bit so need to be rugged.
Since I wear glasses I like the specs of the Leupold Rogue 8x42. My understanding was that porro prism optics were the best buy in my $150 range. Also, phase correction was unavailable on anything less than high dollar roof prisms. But then, I read about the Zen-Ray Vista which seems to have it all according to the specs and reviews. So now I need something to push me one way or the other. The porro prism Leupold Rogue or the roof prism Zen-Ray Vista?

Rugged, waterproof and $150.00 is going to be hard to find. Add in long eye relief because you wear glasses, a wide field of view and decent optics and it gets really tough. If you can come up with about 60 bucks more this binocular will fill the bill for you and will last you many years unless you lose it overboard and they have a great warranty also. They are built like tanks-I have one. http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/vortex.pl?page=vortexdiamondback8x42

Bob

Last edited:
Although I'm a confessed porromaniac, one area where most roofs have porros beat is they are harder to knock out of collimation.

The exception would be IF EP marine porros such as the Fuji FMT-SX, MT, and AR-SX series. They are built to mil specs and will take a beating and keep on ticking.

However, this "bomb proofness" comes at the expense of weight, even the smallest model weighs 30 oz. If you don't fish in low light, a $200 Fuji 6x30 AR-SX should suffice. If you need low light performance, then the Fuji 7x50 FMT or MT is advised.

A lighter weight alternative is the new Fujinon Mariner XL 7x50 bins, which comes with a yellow polycarbonate body and a flotation strap. They are 31 oz., just a tad over the 6x30 AR-SX. It costs only $175, but I don't how it compares to the others optically.

If you prefer the 3-D effect of porros and need a rugged waterproof bin, the Fujis are worth checking out.

You might also find that 6x and 7x bins are easier to steady on a boat than 8x.

Last edited:
The more I read the more I'm leaning toward roof prism with phase correction optics. So, yes, I would love the Vortex Diamondback, but $220 is a bit much. Just one step down the Zen-Ray Vista and the Atlas Radian, both at $130, seem to have very similar specifications and lifetime warranties. The only difference between those two is that the Zen Ray is argon filled and the Atlas is nitrogen. Has anyone had any experience with those two brands?

I suppose in the long run it doesn't make any difference. I have heard that since the Argon molecule is larger that gas will stay in the binocular longer. I have no idea whether that is true or not.
Bob

I had the more expensive 8x42 ZRS HD and the Vistas have very good reviews and should do everything you want just fine. For the $130 price tag you would be hard pressed to find a better roof prism bino. The roofs will be more waterproof than the porros, as well as being more bomb proof. I have an older pair of 8x32 Bushnell legends that I use for my "bay runners", and I keep them in my carry on bag on the floor behind the console with plenty of prepackaged lens wipes.

Lilcrazy2, thanks for the reply. Now that I've learned a little more on the subject I have definitely decided on the roof prism. And now, after some more reading, I want the ZRS HD instead of the Vista even though it's another $75. At this rate I could soon be looking at some $500 bins!
You said you "had" the ZRS HD. How did the 8x42 work out on the boat with the movement, etc.? I want the 8x power instead of a 6 or 7x if the boat movement won't be too difficult.

The only reason I got rid of my 8x42 ZRS HD is because I don't wear glasses and I had to hold the binos slightly away from my eyes to avoid blackouts. I don't have that problem with the 10x42 ZRSHD, which I still have.

Since you wear glasses, you should love the 8x42's and have no problems with ER. While a lot of people recommend 7x50 porros for marine use, you really don't need them unless you are looking for icebergs off the port bow at 2 AM on the dark phase of the moon.;)

If you are using them most of the time with the boat stopped. then 8x should be fine. If you are going to use them constantly on the run, and bouncing up and down, then perhaps 6x is better.

Last edited:
Lilcrazy2, thanks for the reply. Now that I've learned a little more on the subject I have definitely decided on the roof prism. And now, after some more reading, I want the ZRS HD instead of the Vista even though it's another $75. At this rate I could soon be looking at some $500 bins!
You said you "had" the ZRS HD. How did the 8x42 work out on the boat with the movement, etc.? I want the 8x power instead of a 6 or 7x if the boat movement won't be too difficult.

The problem of spending too much time on this forum is to get yourself in trouble for wanting "more" and "better":-O

The VISTA and diamondback seem to be the same binoculars under the different disguise of rubber covers. I emailed EO and Zen-Ray about it. Neither company acknowledges or denies that speculation.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back