• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Accommodation Paphos (1 Viewer)

ronjax

Can anyone please recommend a hotel near Paphos? Will be with wife (non birder) end of March for a week. Nice to stay at a place where birds are nearby for those early morning strolls but also with access to tavernas and the like.

Swimming pools and beaches are of no interest to us.

Ron

Swimming pools and beaches are of no interest to us. Ron

The rocky beach west of Paphos has been good for Greater Sandplover...

I don't know any specific hotels (I'm sure someone does), but anything to the north and west of the Paphos urban sprawl still has pockets of good scrub and other habitat nearby - most are earmarked for more hotels, unfortunately.
MJB

Away from the urban sprawl should work, but often enough the tourist area of Kato Paphos (the bay, by the mosaics, lighthouse, etc.) is surprisingly good. It's essentially a lot of open space in the middle of the tourist area preserved for its archaeology.

Your wife will have something she can enjoy while walking around to see the mosaics, as a result, and you should be able to see a good number of migrant passerines in the fields there. Alternatively, you can go for a walk around the fenced-in archaeology sites starting at the medieval fort, and look for birds along the coast. You might see quite a decent selection of shorebirds along that walk.

Thanks everybody. In the end I bought a package from Directline with accommodation at the "Aparthotel Kefalos Beach" which just outside Paphos seemingly not too far from the headland and adjacent to some antiquities.

As always, bloody difficult in assessing a "package" hotel from their web blurb in terms of how good it might be for local bird watching. Red Throated Pipits on the "Crazy Golf Course"?

Ron

Thanks everybody. In the end I bought a package from Directline with accommodation at the "Aparthotel Kefalos Beach" which just outside Paphos seemingly not too far from the headland and adjacent to some antiquities. As always, bloody difficult in assessing a "package" hotel from their web blurb in terms of how good it might be for local bird watching. Red Throated Pipits on the "Crazy Golf Course"? Ron

Remember to tell us how you got on!
MJB

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back