• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cowbirds Everywhere (1 Viewer)

virgo10

But mostly in my yard. This morning we had a flock of about 150 birds that decided to land in my yard. They took off and got some friends and 30 minutes later there were at least 300 out there. I've never seen so many cowbirds since I moved to Florida. The photos are from the first wave that showed up.

It was interesting in a creepy, Hitchcock sort of way. :eek!:

Attachments

• yardbirdsb2-10-11 (600 x 427).jpg
    yardbirdsb2-10-11 (600 x 427).jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 79
  • yardbirdsa2-10-11 (600 x 450).jpg
    yardbirdsa2-10-11 (600 x 450).jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 72
  • yardbirdse2-10-11 (600 x 339).jpg
    yardbirdse2-10-11 (600 x 339).jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
I have also been blessed ;) not really, with over 300 Grackles and Cowbirds with just a few RW Blackbirds. I finally had to stop filling the feeders for a few days. Hated to do it but went through 20lbs of BOSS and 30 lbs of sunflower hearts in 3 days.

Something I'm familiar with seeing. My house seems to sit right in a classic seasonal stopover point for grackles, cowbirds, blackbirds, and blue jays. I've got lots of banyan, black olive, and ficus trees all around my house, and they become absolutely stuffed with birds each late afternoon...they number well into the thousands, and make an enormous racket with the squawking. I have long fed blue jays, cardinals, and thrashers in feeders in my yard, but when the crazy season comes, there are so many birds that they tear up my feeders and drain bags of seed per week.

I've always enjoyed watching them outside and waiting for that moment when they decide to move on to wherever they go at night - the flocks of them all lift up in one massive airlift - blacking out the sky and making the most amazing noise as they all take wing.

Wow Virgo what a sight.
I have only ever seen two cowbirds on my visits to the US and I was pleased with that.

best regards
Merlin

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back