• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New IS range imminent? (Not 10x42LIS) (1 Viewer)

dipped

Popped into my local Jessops to check out the 10x30's this am (as I usually do), and was informed they aren't able to re-stock any of the current IS binoculars at present leading the salesman to reason that the current range is being discontinued, though he couldn't confirm this as definite.

He thought there would be period of about 3 months before their replacements would be available.

The 12x36IS is not listed on their website and the one they had in the shop has sold and not been restocked.

So get in while you can or wait and see what happens!

Popped into my local Jessops to check out the 10x30's this am (as I usually do), and was informed they aren't able to re-stock any of the current IS binoculars at present leading the salesman to reason that the current range is being discontinued, though he couldn't confirm this as definite.

He thought there would be period of about 3 months before their replacements would be available.

The 12x36IS is not listed on their website and the one they had in the shop has sold and not been restocked.

So get in while you can or wait and see what happens!

Strange, as ARGOS have just put them in their latest catalogue - 8x25, 10x30, 12x36

Hmm....

Checked om the website of the store where I bought my 10x30's and 18x50's; of six current models only the 8x25's are in stock.
Another store stocked them all ( maybe old stock).
Yet another store had the 8x25's and 15x50's in stock, the 18x50's on order.

Quite an exciting message; I'll stall my expected purchases and await further developments.

In comes the 12x50 L IS with lightweight magnesium body! (I wish...).
Or .... what else?!

Best regards,

Ronald

Interesting heads up, Dipped.

Come on Canon IS L 10x30: ED glass, weather resistant with 6.5° FOV for a reasonable price. Similar weight to before.

Given they quietly updated 10x42 (baffling fix, eyecup change, and perhaps other fixes) maybe they got their optical guys to refresh the whole range.

Before asking for interesting new models (10x50 would be great) note that all of these bins are built around an IS system that around 3mm exit pupil (except the now updated 10x42). So unless they have a new IS system that works with a bigger exit pupil you won't see them. But perhaps that's one of the secret changes in 10x42 (which upped the exit pupil from 3.7mm to 4.05mm ... still not quite full size).

Eagle Optics has stock of 8x25, 10x30, 12x36, 15x50, 18x50 and 10x42

http://www.eagleoptics.com/products?query=canon

Last edited:
Glad l got my 12x36 and 18x50 intime but you never get to the front of the queue with high tec gagets, just got some Yukon 5x42 NV write up better then the items, that 12x42 must be some gear for the price

Darn! Now that I´ve just got my Canon IS 15x50, they´re going to bring out an "L-series" version of the same, aren´t they?

Darn! Now that I´ve just got my Canon IS 15x50, they´re going to bring out an "L-series" version of the same, aren´t they?

So, how are you getting on with those? Do they see a lot of use?
Just being curious...

Best regards,

Ronald

Interesting heads up, Dipped.

Come on Canon IS L 10x30: ED glass, weather resistant with 6.5° FOV for a reasonable price. Similar weight to before.

Given they quietly updated 10x42 (baffling fix, eyecup change, and perhaps other fixes) maybe they got their optical guys to refresh the whole range.

Before asking for interesting new models (10x50 would be great) note that all of these bins are built around an IS system that around 3mm exit pupil (except the now updated 10x42). So unless they have a new IS system that works with a bigger exit pupil you won't see them. But perhaps that's one of the secret changes in 10x42 (which upped the exit pupil from 3.7mm to 4.05mm ... still not quite full size).

Eagle Optics has stock of 8x25, 10x30, 12x36, 15x50, 18x50 and 10x42

http://www.eagleoptics.com/products?query=canon

Kevin,

What's with the eyecup change? Haven't heard that before. Or have I missed something?

Best regards,

Ronald

Kevin,

What's with the eyecup change? Haven't heard that before. Or have I missed something?

I mentioned it in the thread here on the revised 10x42 L. You can see the difference in the photos.

The eyecups have a bevelled edge at the ocular lens. I have no idea if the rubber was clipping the light cone before or if this is an improvement but you can see a small change between the old version and new version.

And people don't usually change things like that on a whim.

Kevin,

You have jumped into a hasty conclusion with the 10x42 eyecups. There hasn't been a change in them (alas, since they definitely would deserve to be updated/improved). The 2006 Canon in the Juelich photo has the original eyecups removed in order to fit the aftermarket hinged eyecup covers. The 2010 unit has the original eyecups in place, and they look exactly the same as the ones on my old unit - bevelling and all, and the rubber does not clip the light cone since the aperture in the rubber is ca. 2mm larger than the metal aperture over the eyelens.

Kimmo

So, how are you getting on with those? Do they see a lot of use?
Just being curious...

Best regards,

Ronald

The Canon IS 15x50 are for me the most useful. The 8x panning was lousy, the 10x30 and 12x36 are each charming in their own way but I could get reasonably steady views and better images with a good 8x-ish bino like SV or SE. The 18x50 I tried in a store had a slightly narrower FOV. The revered 10x42L, although the image is awesome, doesn´t provide a good trade-off between greater bulk and better mag, so I´m left with the 15x50, which although bulky, isn´t as "brick-like" as the 10x42, and gives a mag high enough to leave a scope/tripod at home on many trips, especially hiking long distances, when I take along a compact 8x20 and the IS 15x50.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back