• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Emmelina monodactyla? (1 Viewer)

Jamie D

Hi,

Can someone confirm that this is just Emmelina monodactyla?

In addition I remember some discussion at some point regarding plumes where the top spurs on the rear legs are shorter on the outside than they are on the inside (like this moth). Does anyone know the significance of this and what species it eliminates/indicates? I have the plume volume of "The microlepidoptera of Europe" but I find it very hard going....

Thanks,
Jamie

Attachments

• DSCN6274.jpg
    DSCN6274.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 78
J Duffie said:
Hi,

In addition I remember some discussion at some point regarding plumes where the top spurs on the rear legs are shorter on the outside than they are on the inside (like this moth). Does anyone know the significance of this and what species it eliminates/indicates? I have the plume volume of "The microlepidoptera of Europe" but I find it very hard going....

Thanks,
Jamie

Hi Jamie,
Id'ing plumes from photographs is fraught with danger as their forewing is rolled up and therefore not viewable. To be honest I wouldn't attempt it without seeing the specimen set correctly.

By the way there is a copy of Beirne's British Pyralid and Plume Moths up for auction on Ebay at the moment. I know it is fairly old, Circa1959, but, it is currently the last English publication which dealt with the 'Plumes'. The current bidding price is £6.69 but with six days to go I think the price will rise considerably. If your feeling 'flush' you may want to bid on it.

Harry.

J Duffie said:
Hi,

Thanks,
Jamie

That's a very clear pic. AFAIK, and I ain't an expert by any stretch in this group, the unequal spurs are diagnostic for monodactyla. The wing markings are spot on too. As a post on ukmoths a few months back said, "99% of all plumes you are likely to catch are monodactyla"! The other 1% is more than likely to be Pterophorus pentadactyla (White Plume)...

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back