• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Guess what I found at home! (1 Viewer)

gthang

Ford Focus Fanatic: mmmmmm... 3.1415926535.....
I found a patch of berries in a row of pine trees lining our property's boundary with the street. I snapped some photos, and when I got back in the house, I downloaded the pictures, opened Netscape, and headed to ENature.com, to try and ID them.

Turns out they are White Mulberries (Morus alba). So now that I know what they are, I have a question for you.

I want to see a Cedar Waxwing before the year is out, and hopefully these berries are a food eaten by these birds. So, what berries do Cedar Waxwings favor?

Attachments

• P7042115 (White mulberries).jpg
    P7042115 (White mulberries).jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 134
Hi gthang, firstly these are not Morus alba or indeed any other member of the genus Morus. Try looking under Rubus as that is the genus that this belongs too. The five sepals at the back of the compound fruit give it away.

I think the type of fruits these birds favour are usually members of the Rosaceae such as Amelanchier at this time of year, and later members of Crataegus and Sorbus.

Last edited:
Hi Gthang,

I gotta agree with Steve, these are Rubus fruticosus (Blackberry, a.k.a. Bramble) or another closely related species of Rubus (there's dozens of 'microspecies' in this genus).

Mulberries are trees with heart-shaped leaves about 10-20cm long

As for the berries Cedar Waxwings like, one favourite is Juniper berries (hence the name - early US settlers confused Juniper for Cedars). Others, as Steve says, Amelanchier (Juneberry), Sorbus (Rowan), Crataegus (Hawthorn), and many more - just about any tree that has berries on.

Michael

Dang, the picture of the mulberries looked very convincing, and I couldn't find any other trees in the area that resembled the berries I saw. Also, the leaves in the Mulberry picture on ENature.com looked the same as the leaves that our berries have. So you can see why I came to the White Mulberry conclusion.

Hi gthang, the nearest that any Rubus get to becoming trees are upright suckering shrubs up to a height of 12 ft. As Michael says, they are a very complex group with some species containing many microspecies. I beleive that some species do have heart shaped leaves (don't know the American species) but none really develop a permanent trunk.
Do you think that it may have been rambling through a tree instead as a support which would be the most likely condition?

From someone who grew up with acres of blackberry brambles and ate my fair share of them, I can tell you that these are indeed, Blackberries. We used to burn them down to the ground each fall.

I forgot to mention, that the berries were not only a dark purple and red (as in the photo), but there were orange, yellow, and green ones too.

gthang said:
I forgot to mention, that the berries were not only a dark purple and red (as in the photo), but there were orange, yellow, and green ones too.
Hi Gthang,

Try tasting one of each - and you'll soon find th at the black ones are ripe (and delicious!:eat:), and the others not ready yet :eek!: . . . they'll turn black as they ripen

Michael

that smily eating the arrow is starting to frighten me... I could choke on it!

Would Cedar Waxwings eat blackberries? Trying to see if I have a chance of seeing one during the fall...

gthang said:
Would Cedar Waxwings eat blackberries? Trying to see if I have a chance of seeing one during the fall...
Hi Gthang,

They normally prefer to get their berries in trees, but will sometimes come low, in which case yes, they would eat blackberries.

Michael

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back