• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help with these please (1 Viewer)

Hi Graham,

1 & 2 are both orchids, certainly Dactylorhiza spp. maybe D. maculata.

3 isn't an orchid; I feel sure I ought to know what it is, but I can't think offhand.

Pics of the leaves as well as the flowers would help a lot!

Michael

Thanks Michael ! Sorry about the lack of leaves. If it's any help (3) was growing in a very wet bog.

Regards,
Graham.

Hi Graham,
pic 3 is a Polygonum species, but I am not sure which one. It reminds me of Polygonum bistorta, allthough that normally has more flowers on one stem.
The location (wet bog) would also be fine for P. bistorta.
Hope that helps

Jörn

That could well be it !
The flower head of that species is shorter (-if it were growing in the water, it was probably P. amphibium, on land, it could be either species, but you are right Michael, the flower head seems to be closer to Polyonum amphibium.

The land growing specimen of P. amphibium have narrower and smaller leaves than P. bistorta; and in P. amphibium the leaves are on the flowering stems, whereas in P. bistorta most leaves emerge from the ground and there are only 2-3 leaves on the flowering stem. Also in the leaves of P. bistorta the lower side is clearly lighter coloured than the upper side.

Hope that helps

Jörn

Hi -

I'd say the first orchid (30107702) is northern marsh Dactylorhiza purpurella. Damp ground, often acidic, generally northern (replaced by the taller, paler D praetermissa in the south).

The second (30540360) looks like common spotted Dactylorhiza fuchsii. Wide variety of grassy habitats, but not usually very acidic ones. Heath spotted Dactylorhiza maculata is similar (and this could just possibly be it), but usually paler flowers, with the central tooth of the lower petal very much narrower than the outer two. Usually acidic habitats, including very wet ones. The central teeth of these flowers are a bit big for heath, a bit small for common, but the colour looks more like common. The other vegetation looks more consistent with common, though not conclusive either way. They do hybridise too...

I'd agree with the other photo -- Persicaria bistorta or amphibia, probably the latter. (This part of Polygonum now regarded as Persicaria).

Regards,

Richard

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back