• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What bat species could this be? (1 Viewer)

harry eales

Ancient Entomologist
Mid morning today in very bright sunshine and in a very warm day I was out on my local shooting range sighting in a new rifle when my attention was drawn to what I first thought was a bird some 500 yards away.

The flight looked very peculiar for a bird and so I grabbed my binoculars, lo and behold it was a bat and a fairly large one at that. It was obviously hunting for insects flying around a small copse of young Birch Trees, and it approached to within 50 yards of my position.

It was present or rather within view for over half an hour, before disappearing into a dense woodland.

In 60 years of observing nature I have never, ever seen a bat out flying and hunting, except in the hour or so before dark or just after dawn, I've never seen one flying and hunting in bright sunlight. It was much larger then the 'Pip's' I have in my roof space.

Anyone any ideas as to what species it may have been?, the location was near Newcastle International Airport in Northumberland, England.

Harry

Mid morning today in very bright sunshine and in a very warm day I was out on my local shooting range sighting in a new rifle when my attention was drawn to what I first thought was a bird some 500 yards away.

The flight looked very peculiar for a bird and so I grabbed my binoculars, lo and behold it was a bat and a fairly large one at that. It was obviously hunting for insects flying around a small copse of young Birch Trees, and it approached to within 50 yards of my position.

It was present or rather within view for over half an hour, before disappearing into a dense woodland.

In 60 years of observing nature I have never, ever seen a bat out flying and hunting, except in the hour or so before dark or just after dawn, I've never seen one flying and hunting in bright sunlight. It was much larger then the 'Pip's' I have in my roof space.

Anyone any ideas as to what species it may have been?, the location was near Newcastle International Airport in Northumberland, England.

Harry

Hi Harry it sounds very much like a pipistell, they are known to come out in daytime quite a lot, and of caurse it may have been disturbed.

I wonder if it was a Noctule? They are larger than a pip, and if a pip can come out in the day - as they do occasionally, perhaps a noctule - which does come out before dark, was drawn out by the need to feed?

From the size and description, noctule is the most likely species.

Mike

Co-incidentally, I saw my first bat of the year yesterday, it was a pipistrelle hunting around mid-day

"Big" bats out in the daytime tend to be Noctules ( although Leisler's seem to be partial to a bit of sunshine, but there is little chance of one of those in the north-east at this time of year. )

Chris

Noctules feeding at midday not unusual this time of year, wake from hibernaiton and too peckish to wait for dusk so they chance it (vulnerable to raptors during the day.

Other species do it too, Pips and Serotines I've seen, but Noctule fits the description.

Here's one at Symonds Yat last year.

John

Attachments

• Noctuleday.jpg
    Noctuleday.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 94
Hi Harry

Description sounds like Noctule.

Pips have been out and about in the middle of the day for the last week or thereabouts as well.

cheers
martin

Hello Martin and everyone else, it appears most likely to be a Noctule then. Sorry there wasn't a better description available, but I wasn't expecting to see such an animal during the day so didn't have my camera with me.

Harry

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back