• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Minox German HG 10x43 BR #62190 (1 Viewer)

dvboy

I just picked up a demo set of these for what I think is a good price($915).I was not sure if I should step up to the APO version,but honestly couldn't find exactly what APO really is?Can someone point out what APO stands for and would it have been worth the extra $500?

Last edited:
You can read about the differences between the HG and the APO HG here:

http://www.bestbinocularsreviews.com/minox-binoculars.php

It seems that the APO uses ED glass to reduce colour fringing and has a Minotec coating to repel dust and water. The APO also comes in a snazzy wooden case.

Only you can tell whether these features are worth the extra $500 dollars (I notice that you changed this from $300.) Have you tried your HGs yet and are you happy with them? If the answer is 'yes' then there is no point spending more money.

For what it is worth, I have an ex-demo pair of 8x43 HGs and really like them. I haven't noticed colour fringing to be a problem, they are very bright and the objective lens is quite well recessed to protect it from rain and dust. I would have had to spend at least twice as much to get a new pair of APOs and almost certainly wouldn't have bought them.

I suggest you give your HGs a go and I am sure you will like them and will soon forget all about those APOs.

Ron

Last edited:
Thanks Ron
I have not received them yet,so there is still time to do the upgrade.Looks like I am going to stick with things the way they are,as we are talking about 50% more $$$.From the research I did they are a good value for the under $1000 category.I wanted a larger FOV than I was getting from my BD10X44BP(268FT @ 1000 YDS)and the HG 10x43 have a FOV of 342 ft @ 1000 yds.Mission accomplished there,hopefully a nice optics upgrade at the same time.
Dave

I have this binocular (the German HG, not the APO) and am very happy with it. I read a lot here and also talked with 2 people from Minox on the telephone. One guy from Minox was quite knowledgable and advised me that the difference was substantial between the Japan and German models but not so much between the German and the APO so I too saved my money. I have no regrets but on the flip side I have not looked through an APO yet either. The APO comes with better box (wood?) and a leather case but the leather case can be bought for around $40.00 I think.

Let us know how you like it. :t:

Well.............I ended up getting the Minox German APO-HG 10x43 BR #62194.It only cost me another $160 for the upgrade so I figured what the heck.Probably wont get em for another 2-3 weeks,but I think I am happy now with my decision |8)|

Well.............I ended up getting the Minox German APO-HG 10x43 BR #62194.It only cost me another $160 for the upgrade so I figured what the heck.Probably wont get em for another 2-3 weeks,but I think I am happy now with my decision |8)|
For an extra $160 it is probably worth it to know that you have got the top of the range models. I assume they were ex-demos for that price. Let us know how you get on with them when they arrive.

Ron

Yes,they were demos and yea I figured why not pay the little extra and get to the top of the Minox mountain.It was a little unusual how this deal came about,but Doug at Camera Land patiently guided me through the process.:clap:

I got the ex demo 8x43hg and they are brill. I compared them with the 8.5x42 swaros and yes the swaro's were better but not €1000 euro better. I wouldnt mind comparing the Apo with the hg to see if there is much of a difference. Ger.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back