• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best parts of Cyprus for Pallid Harrier (1 Viewer)

wolfbirder

Ok I have managed to ascertain that last week in March and 1st week in April seems to be prime time for migrating Pallid Harriers, does anyone know best areas to see them historically? i.e. Is Paphos headland better than Cape Greco, is Akna Dam, Asprokremnos Dam or Kiti Dam best?

I saw a couple at Paphos Headland,and one at Anarita Park during my visit this year,late March/early April.Talking to other birders they were being seen at all the well watched coastal sites anyway.It is one of those birds you can't plan to see in any particular location.You just hope to get lucky.

I saw a couple at Paphos Headland,and one at Anarita Park during my visit this year,late March/early April.Talking to other birders they were being seen at all the well watched coastal sites anyway.It is one of those birds you can't plan to see in any particular location.You just hope to get lucky.

Hi Billy

A male is the bird I desperately want to see. I do agree it's obviously hit and miss. I just missed a male at Paphos headland the day before I arrived, and just missed a male at Cape Greco the day after I left! Oh well, gonna try again next April!

Generally I'd say Cape Greco... because it is a more 'jutting' peninsula, I tend to think that it attracts the raptors coming in from the sea, who are looking for the first land they see.

But that's just my guess.

Generally I'd say Cape Greco... because it is a more 'jutting' peninsula, I tend to think that it attracts the raptors coming in from the sea, who are looking for the first land they see.

But that's just my guess.

I guess in spring they are heading , across the Med from African wintering grounds, & then onward to turkey, Iran and Kazakhstan, so that would make sense.:t:

Having look at records for last 3 years (2008-2010), it seems the best spots for incoming Pallid Harriers are Cape Greco, Akrotiri, and Paphos headland. They are also reported commonly at Paralimni Lake (near Cape Greco), and either at Mandria, Aspro Pools / Dam, and Anarita Park (all near Paphos) where they may then linger a day or two.

Peak times seem to be from 20th March to end of March, then reported first two-to-three weeks in April, though sometimes the first week seems to go a bit quiet after the March peak. But there is no set pattern with each year varying. 19 in off the sea at Paphos headland one morning at dawn must have been quite a sight!

Last edited:
Having look at records for last 3 years (2008-2010), it seems th ebest spots for incoming Pallid Harriers are Cape Greco, Akrotiri, and Paphos headland.

Just to play devil's advocate - those are also the most birded areas. Especially Paphos, where the majority of the British ex-pats (and thus the majority of birders in Cyprus) live. So I think there's a slight confirmation bias there. But only slight - those are still the places I'd go to see them.

Right now, Montagu's Harriers should be passing through btw, but I didn't see any this morning in Cape Greco or at Kivisili (another great spot near Larnaca for raptors, with lots of open fields). I did see a group of about 15 Lesser Kestrels though, plus about 10 Red-footed Falcons. :cool:

Thats interesting Melanothorax, I hope to return next spring if I can wangle the time.

As you know i spent 2 days at Cape greco, 2 at Paphos, I left Cape greco 8 April, only to miss 2 reported Pallid Harriers there that day, and arrived too late at paphos to miss a male seen at the headland. Bugger!

I also had a largish raptor perched low on rocks beyond the cereal field towards the fenced off cape at Cape greco on 7 April that I wonder now if it was possibly a saker. Will never know!

Gonna take a good look at the website/forum - looks very useful. Appreciate your information.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back