• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which harrier species to people consider to be most attractive? (1 Viewer)

wolfbirder

Marsh, Hen, Montagu's or Pallid harrier?

Just wondered..................close call between male of the latter 3 for me.

I just saw several displaying Montagu's Harrier in Austria. They are the most elegant of the European species.
The most beautiful one for me is the Pied Harrier, which I saw in India in January.

But all harriers are great and I have not yet seen all species.

Markus

Not familiar with these, but the pallid harrier shuurrre is a beautiful looking bird.....:t:

My fav tho is a local, a big female spotted harrier.......who on earth could have possibly designed such magnificent markings??! o:D

Whaddyareckon? :h?: :brains:

spotted harrier lp-196 copyright graeme chapman.jpg spotted harrier 218207 copyright graeme chapman.jpg pallid harrier male.jpg

For larger and more images of photographer graeme chapman's work go here

Chosun :gh:

For long, long time.............. the earth - she cry....
now, the children - they cry too....
All terribly, terribly sad...

Last edited:
Bill Oddie in the Raptors of Europe VHS video states many birders believe the male Pallid Harrier to be the most attractive of all European raptors. Looking at the photo on a previous post it is certainly striking and ghostly. Its the one I would like to see now, having yet to see a male of this species.

The male Monty is certainly tern-like and agile, a beautiful bird, but I still think I edge just for the male Hen Harrier, whose combination of gorgeous pearl grey, jet black and pristine white colours always takes my breath away when I see one drifting across a bleak moor in winter.

Mind you they are all beautiful in their own way.

Along with Gyr Falcon, Great Grey Owl and Golden Eagle, I would say the 3 grey male Harrier species in Europe are my favourate birds.

Seenn a gorgeous male pallid on Lesvos,stunning male cinereous harrier in peru,but best by miles male pied in beidaihe absolutely B e a utifil.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back