• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Buying Overseas (1 Viewer)

ellisonwales

After purchasing Nikon 8X32 HGs for £529 from a British company Ive just discovered that I could have had the same bins (premier LX 8X32)from overseas www.binoculars.com for £130 pounds cheaper including shipping i.e £399 pounds.I notice there is a similar deal for the SEs.Anyone have experience of buying bins overseas and whether looking at the price savings here ,thinks its a good or bad idea?
tia
ellison

On scopes there's a 4% tax then VAT on the total including the shipping costs.
On top of that you have the worry of whether Warranty is valid in the U.K.
I just glanced at the site, the shipping costs, is that specifically to the U.K?. Some companies charge a lot to ship to the U.K. others just won't ship at all.
You must make up your own mind if its worth it!.

alan_rymer said:
On scopes there's a 4% tax then VAT on the total including the shipping costs.
On top of that you have the worry of whether Warranty is valid in the U.K.
I just glanced at the site, the shipping costs, is that specifically to the U.K?. Some companies charge a lot to ship to the U.K. others just won't ship at all.
You must make up your own mind if its worth it!.

Hi..
I put the product in the basket , filled in destination i.e Wales (which is in the dropdown list)and postcode and it offered to choices of shipping first or second class international shipping which was about 38 dollars.I too have noticed that many sites wont ship to the uk but that site seems to.Im not sure whetehr the warranty would be valid in the UK or if you could just send them to a US dealer for repair.
ellison

Thanks for comments....seems like buying at home doesnt work out much dearer after all with all the taxes subjected on imports...I wasnt ware of those taxes so thanks for link
ellison

With what the exchange rate is between dollar and pound right now, why not fly over for a few day's vacation, and buy the bins while you're here? You'd pay local sales tax (5 to 9%, depending on state) and no shipping. Heck, if you come to Wisconsin, we have Eagle Optics (a great optics store) in Madison, and the Horicon Marsh just an hour or so north - all maybe two hours from O'hare airport in Chicago.

Curtis Croulet said:
Won't he have to pay duty when he returns to the UK?

In principle yes, in practice ... depends if he declares them or gets caught. AFAIK getting caught can mean confiscation of the goods. Of course I cannot recommend the application of mud to make them look old before bringing them through customs, and hiding the box and US receipt, as that would be dishonest. Hohum.

Taxes are hard to avoid. This might work for binoculars too.

I had a friend who bought a new guitar and an old case. He then put stickers and other stuff on the guitar to make it look old. He then brought it to Scandinavia as his "old guitar".

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back