• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lochter Ospreys (1 Viewer)

Ena Sharples

Registered Member
Went to visit my Cousin who lives in Strichen!!. Spent a day fishing on Lochter, mainly so I could get to see the Ospreys that were nesting there ( all legal btw) On the first visit there, there were 2 adults and 2 young!! And guess what !! I forgot my blooming camera !! So i rescheduled for a couple of days later!!

I arrived to a bird free area!!! Not a bird in sight and this time armed with my Canon 350D and the only lens I have a 200mm zoom!!. Nothing!!! Then about 3 hours later I spotted one, it circled for a while then landed on the nest, called. I assumed it was one of the young want ing to be fed. I managed to get a few shots off but as I was fishing later, it only decided to try and feed itself right in front of me!!! It landed on the water, sadly missed one of the rising trout and then took off and flew right towards me !!! What a magnificent sight. Here are a few of the pics

PLease forgive me if I have posted this in the wrong section or Mods could you please move it to the correct one :t:

osprey37.jpg

osprey27.jpg

osprey26.jpg

osprey25.jpg

osprey22.jpg

Last edited:
Went to visit my Cousin who lives in Strichen!!. Spent a day fishing on Lochter, mainly so I could get to see the Ospreys that were nesting there ( all legal btw) On the first visit there, there were 2 adults and 2 young!! And guess what !! I forgot my blooming camera !! So i rescheduled for a couple of days later!!

I arrived to a bird free area!!! Not a bird in sight and this time armed with my Canon 350D and the only lens I have a 200mm zoom!!. Nothing!!! Then about 3 hours later I spotted one, it circled for a while then landed on the nest, called. I assumed it was one of the young want ing to be fed. I managed to get a few shots off but as I was fishing later, it only decided to try and feed itself right in front of me!!! It landed on the water, sadly missed one of the rising trout and then took off and flew right towards me !!! What a magnificent sight. Here are a few of the pics

PLease forgive me if I have posted this in the wrong section or Mods could you please move it to the correct one :t:

osprey37.jpg

osprey27.jpg

osprey26.jpg

osprey25.jpg

osprey22.jpg

This is the right place for your topic.

PLeased ? I was ecstatic lol !!! Too see them when I am up there is always a bonus ( seen them every visit up to now) But to see one drop onto the lake I was fishing was a bonus !!
The year before, we were travelling to see some Peregines and one was sitting eating a fish about 15 feet from the road in a tree!! By the time I had managed to grab my camera it flew off :(

Thaks for the kind comments

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back