• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Red Kite near Singleton? (1 Viewer)

Tin Monkey

Hi all

I was driving in the Singleton area [near Blackpool] and spotted a large bird overhead. It was soaring and it was a large bird of prey. It wasn't possible to stop, but as I drove under it I saw that it had white 'bars' on its wings. I thought it was a buzzard due to its size, but looking it up in a book, the nearest bird I can see to it is a Red Kite.

The book doesn't show Lancashire as a Red Kite area, so am I likely to be mistaken? Is it just wishful thinking?

Kites were released in Grisedale Forest (Southern Lake District) last year and a number dispersed out of the area over winter.

Blackpool isn't that far away as the kite flies so I would suggest perfectly possible.

Red Kites have been turning up more regularly in Lancs since the birds were released at Harewood House a few years back, and there was one at Singleton a couple of years ago. So it is certainly possible, though they are still very scarce. Having said that there is nothing in your description that rules out Buzzard, and they are much more likely in the area.

Stephen

Thanks for your replies. It's good to hear that they're spreading down from Cumbria.

The main reason why I thought that it was a Red Kite was because of the very clear broad, white stripes across the wings. Even though I couldn't spend much time looking at it, they were so dominant and contrasting on the wings that they were the defining feature for me [apart from the size of course].

Obviously I'll never be 100% certain unless I see it again, but it good to know that it's a possibility that I may have seen one. I wasn't even aware that they were in this part of the country.

Thanks again.

I drive my train through Singleton Bank pretty much every day, so I'll keep my eye out. I do know that there are 2 "pairs" of Buzzards between Poulton and Kirkham though, so my guess is that it's one of them.

Thanks for your replies. It's good to hear that they're spreading down from Cumbria.

The main reason why I thought that it was a Red Kite was because of the very clear broad, white stripes across the wings. Even though I couldn't spend much time looking at it, they were so dominant and contrasting on the wings that they were the defining feature for me [apart from the size of course].

Obviously I'll never be 100% certain unless I see it again, but it good to know that it's a possibility that I may have seen one. I wasn't even aware that they were in this part of the country.

Thanks again.

Don't know that the Cumbrian ones are 'moving down' but the one that was there a while back (never saw it) might have reappeared - as someone else says eyes to the skies folks

Cheers

D

Don't know that the Cumbrian ones are 'moving down' but the one that was there a while back (never saw it) might have reappeared - as someone else says eyes to the skies folks

Cheers

D

Red Kite seen at Leighton Moss over Barrow Scout Fields about 3.30pm today - naff pic I'm afraid, but it'll do!!

Attachments

• Leighton Moss 02-06-11 341.JPG
    Leighton Moss 02-06-11 341.JPG
    28 KB · Views: 127
There are lots of buzzards in the area.. I live in Clifton and I have seen three circling above my house. No red kite though but I hear they are becoming more widely distributed. I will get my other half to keep an eye out.. he is the man who sees Everything!

I saw a Red Kite this week that flew over Moorland Rd in Poulton-le-fylde, I've been a birdwatcher all my life and know what I'm looking for, It's the first time that I have seen it and I was quite shocked.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back