• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RFI Varangerfjord and Northern finland (1 Viewer)

Nick Brooks

Am heading off to Oulu at end of week and then driving up to Varangerfjord. Have read everything i can find on web but have a few unanswered questions

Can anybody recommend cheap places to stay Oulu - Kuusamo - Sodankyla - Inari - Varangerfjord. I'm hoping i won't be looking at more than 70 Euros per night. I really can't be bothered with camping but am keen to know what cabins are like in campgrounds and is it worth bringing a set of sheets to save money.

Can you charge camera batteries and netbooks in campground cabins or should I buy a car charger?

Is it worth taking wellies or will a good pair of walking boots suffice.

Having watched the Gosney dvds (where he seems to be freezing in a thick parker in mid June) but also seen the weather forecast of 12 degrees C for Vardo this week. How cold is it likely to get? Do I really need heavy coats and thermals or will a thick jumper, a fleece and waterproofs be OK?

And on the bird front - if anybody has any recent news on best places to find the following then that would also be appreciated - wb diver, steller's eider, gyr falcon, little bunting, parrot and tb crossbillls, sibe tit, hazel grouse and any mad capercaillies. I'm booked on an owl trip on my last day but if anybody knows of any Ural or tengmalm owls that I can use as a back up, I'd be interested in those too. I'm also guessing that leaving Kuusamo by the 8th of June is too early for arctic warbler?

thanks in advance

Nick

Hi Nick

Less than 70 Euros - so stay away from hotels...;)
We took a tent with us and stayed on campinggrounds (easily available in Finland) and in the tundra in Varanger. Temperatures may vary in Varanger, you might experience sunny 15° or snowfall with temperatures around freezing point! We had snow on the 14th of June!
In Varanger good walking boots are enoug, however in Finland when leaving the forest paths wellies are highly recommended. Otherwise you spend a lot of time watching the ground and not watching birds.
We had Gyr Falcon at the supermarket in Utsjoki, Steller's Eider in the harbour in Vadsö, WB Diver on the road from Vardö to Hamningberg and Little Bunting east of Ivalo. We didn't have any Arctic Warblers, leaving Kuusamo even a day later than you will.
Hope this helps a bit. Have fun!

André

Almost;). We had more or less given up on Gyr (the famous breeding site at Tana Bridge is no longer occupied) and were on our way back south. In Utsjoki we decided to buy some chocolate and went out of the car and there it was flying around....
You sometimes just need luck.

André

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back